Choose Your Own Adventure

I entered this semester completely unaware of what I had gotten myself into – in fact, I wasn’t sure if I was going to feel imposter syndrome while sitting in a room with talented writers who I just casually pulled up a chair next to. It took about one class session to appease my worries and confirm that anyone who wants to write has a place to do so in this room. Here are some ways to get the most out of it –

1. If something tugs at your heart, let it. If you see a writing prompt and have a thought that sparks the slightest bit of emotion, go and explore it! If you have surface-level ideas that spark joy, anger, excitement, nostalgia – anything – just think of all that you’ll uncover when you actually put pen to paper!
  2. Workshop is worth trying. I took a risk with having my paper be read in the first workshop session, and I received pointers that I still gloss over in my mind before submitting drafts of completely unrelated pieces. Receiving feedback from writers with entirely different academic and personal backgrounds is one of the coolest gifts this class gives, so take advantage of it!
  3. Have fun with the notebook prompts. Tell stories, be funny, and show your voice. If for nothing else, it’s a cool artifact of writing topics to keep for the future.
  4. Meet with your gateway teacher if you’re struggling. T has been a great resource for me as a writer this semester, and I always left meetings with new insights.

Starting a Minor in Writing has been an incredibly rewarding experience, and I hope you enjoy gateway as much as I did. Take risks, and choose topics to write about that you’ll be excited to work on. Good luck!