Topic Accessibility

As others begin posting their final capstone sites on social media, sending it in emails and groupchats, I remain hesitant. Posting my project site on Facebook is a very scary thought. Despite my best attempts to make it “conversational,” I anticipate that my capstone on Biraciality will be inaccessible to many people in my close social circles. The biracial experience is incredibly nuanced, even for those who experience it. This was a major source of conflict for me in my writing—I never felt like I was fully doing the topic justice. I eventually learned that I would never achieve that feeling, as no one person could do so.

With that being said, I worry that my readers may not understand this nuance and the individuality that my project represents. I plan on sharing it, but I may need some time first. Time to think, to reflect, and even to continue writing. Being proud of the work you have put in, yet hesitant about reception of the topic, is a difficult place to be in. However, it feels wonderful to be (temporarily) done and to have a product that makes so many of my lifelong experiences something tangible. Sharing is simply the next thing on my “to do” list.

2 thoughts to “Topic Accessibility”

1. Hi Matisse, I think you summarize the current public environment well. People always had the most divergent views from one another, but social media paste together all those conflicting beliefs on people’s faces. On the one hand, it seems wise to leave out any such nuanced topics from social conversations, in order not to get meddled in arguments or harsh feelings we otherwise wouldn’t experience. On the other hand, there wouldn’t be such controversies to begin with if the issues at hand weren’t important and directly concerned with people’s lives; so it really is important to bring out those issues on public platforms. But we feel hesitant because we don’t want to be misunderstood and we don’t want to hurt others or get hurt by others. So I’m curious what conclusion you will arrive at after you reflect on the factors that make you hesitate on sharing your work.

2. Hi Matisse! I, unsurprisingly, feel the exact same way. Talking about immigration is the current political climate always feels like walking on egg shells, and I don’t want to post my website out of fear that someone will misunderstand my point. I could also definitely keep writing forever…
    At the end of the day, we both took on the challenge of doing a project that is important in modern society, if not controversial! You should be proud of your work and feel as though you can share it, because it is written from your own perspective and through that perspective you have given an amazing insight into biraciality.

I’m so glad I got to read your work! I hope to see it shared soon so that everyone else can too 🙂