Angelina 101

It occurred to me when drafting this that a few aspects of my personality make writing an introductory blog post especially difficult for me: 1) I have a tendency to overshare, 2) I crave structure, and 3) the only thing that stresses me out more than first impressions is letting people read my writing. In fact, I stopped letting my mom proofread my essays somewhere around third grade. But I’ll do my best and start with the standard introduction: name, major, hometown.

My name is Angelina (like Angelina Ballerina) and my last name is Little (like Stuart Little). I don’t know how to feel about the fact that I share both my names with animated mice, but I could do worse. I’m hoping to major in Philosophy, Politics, and Economics and learn enough to do some good in the world (though sometimes when I spend enough time in a bookstore I wish I was an English major instead). 

I grew up in a suburb right outside Berkeley, California. Whatever your stereotypes are about the Bay Area, I probably fit a fair percentage of them. A lot of who I am came from growing up there, and I am proud of my granola origins. I miss the nature, the culture, and of course the ever-foggy, temperate weather, but I’m starting to see the beauty in Michigan too (although I don’t think I’ll ever get used to how flat it is here). 

In my favorite place in the world, probably thinking about something really important.

Outside the basics, I’m still figuring out how to define myself. I spent most of high school feeling confined to my peers’ perceptions of me, so leaving that version of myself 2,000 miles behind has been overwhelmingly freeing. Without the shackles of my high school reputation, I’ve grown a lot more independent and confident and been able to let go of some of my teen angst. Even so, I’m still trying to figure out exactly who I am outside my name, major, and hometown.

Here are some things I know for sure: I believe any problem can be solved by dunking yourself in a cold body of water (rivers preferred). My favorite songs feel so personal I rarely share music with anyone. I know astrology isn’t real but read my horoscope regularly (I’m a Taurus). I’ve cried at art exhibits before and probably will again. I’d rather walk a mile than order an Uber but will pay $5 for a latte with a pretty word like “rose” or “lavender” in it. My biggest bucket list item is hiking the Pacific Crest Trail someday. 

I guess who I am is just as undeclared as my major — I have a pretty good idea of where I’m going, but nothing is certain just yet. 

4 thoughts to “Angelina 101”

1. I totally feel you on the point that you’d rather walk a mile than pay for an uber but you regularly buy overpriced lattes, extremely me too! I’m also a Taurus, and I agree with the part about high school perceptions. I went to a small high school and everyone had these preconceived notions of who I was. It was annoying!

2. So many parts of this introduction quite literally felt like I was reading something written about myself! I 100% relate to all three of the difficulties that you felt when it came to writing an introductory blog post, and am so impressed with how (seemingly) effortlessly you managed to overcome them. Probably the biggest thing that struck a chord with me was your comment about dunking yourself in water being able to solve all problems. I always thought that my propensity to use water as vessel and time to think was me procrastinating my issues, but I think moving forward I’m going to adopt your point of view of water as a solution!

3. I really like how you end this post, indicating that you are similar to your undeclared major. Although I have declared a major, I still struggle to answer peoples questions when they ask what I want to do when I graduate college. It is a struggle and gives me a lot of stress and anxiety!

4. I love that you introduced your name by relating it to Angelina Ballerina and Stuart Little. It was so unexpected and brought up some weird nostalgia from the deep recesses of my childhood memories in a way that made me already feel like we’re friends. Have you ever gone up to northern Michigan? It’s a lot less flat than here (but still not California) and it has some of my favorite places in the world which look a lot like your favorite place in the world.