Introduction to the Genre of Fairytales.

For my second experiment, I plan to create a fairytale story. I loved learning about the blogging genre in my first experiment, but I now am interested in using a genre I enjoyed throughout my childhood, instead of a genre I use daily in this digital age. 

Ever since I was a little girl, I enjoyed a good fairytale bedtime story. Some of my favorite fairytale stories included Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, The Little Mermaid, and The Twelve Dancing Princesses. What I enjoy about fairytales is that they are all are consistent—they usually begin with “once upon a time,” or “very long ago.” Additionally, the story usually takes place in an imaginary land with magic elements. 

What is a fairytale? The dictionary definition of a fairytale is “a children’s story about magical and imaginary beings and lands.” The fairytale genre is one that has always excited me, and I look forward to exploring this culture!  I researched a few different sources about how to construct a fairytale and the conventions of a fairytale. I cited them below! 

Fairytales are made up of many fun, intriguing aspects: the moral lesson, an animal, a mysterious character, an obstacle, and a happily ever after ending. To make a good fairytale, each of these components need to be included. For example, in the very well-known fairytale Cinderella she faced the obstacle of having two evil step sisters and an evil step mother, all of whom made her do chores and suffer. The aspect of magic was the Fairy Godmother, and the moral lesson was “kindness towards all, forgiving others for doing wrong, and never letting bad things ruin your heart.” Easily one of my favorite childhood stories! 

I plan to take my personal statement essay of my experience and challenge being diagnosed with Celiac disease as my origin piece and turn it into a magical fairytale about being a young gluten-free girl on this path. I hope to include all aspects of a fairytale: a gluten villain, a magic gluten-free fairy creating all food to be gluten-free, and I am brainstorming some more ideas as I learn more about this genre! I hope to add some illustrations to my experiment as well. 

This is one of the sources I explored, where I learned some skills on how to get started creating my own version of a fairytale!

https://libguides.mssu.edu/c.php?g=185298&p=1223898

3 thoughts to “Introduction to the Genre of Fairytales.”

1. I think this is a really neat way to portray celiac to a potentially younger audience. I can see a little girl like you finding out she has celiac and not knowing what to make of it, but reading this story and being inspired. I think we need more stories in which the hero overcomes some sort of perceived “disability” or diagnosis. Excited to read!

2. Isabelle, I love this!! I think it’s a really interesting way of exploring your Celiac disease, but I also like the fact that your characters are non-conventional. I think representation in fairy tales is really important, and so I love that you’re doing that with this piece.

3. Hi Isabelle!

Based on your last experiment, I’m super excited to read about this one. I’m super excited that you went with the gluten villain like we talked about last time! I can’t wait to see how your second experiment progresses!

Tatiyana