Discipline Burnout?

So for the past two years I’ve essentially been reading nothing but brain/neuroscience related material. My reading habits outside of assigned material have been almost non existent, but even when I would choose to read a book, I would chose “Why Zebras Don’t Get Ulcers” by Robert Sapolsky or “Hallucinations” by Oliver Sacks. I even have a 1,500 page cognitive neuroscience textbook that I read in my free time.

A few days ago I tried to get through a chapter of “Hallucinations” and found that I physically could not do it. I diagnosed myself as having burnout from consuming nothing but science and brain related media for so long.

So I picked up a book I ordered maybe a year ago thinking “yeah one day I’ll get to that” and Saturday was that day. The book is title “Red Land Black Land: Daily Life in Ancient Egypt” by Barbara Mertz. The breezed through the first 40 pages without even taking a break. I can can’t stress enough how refreshing it felt to switch thins up for the first time in so long.