On Filming

Turn on the camera. Make sure it’s filming. In my current state more footage is better than too little footage. This was a lesson I learned throughout my week of filming and practicing the Rubik’s cube. As the week went on, I progressively filmed more and more because I realized I wanted more freedom in the editing process. Especially because, for me, I didn’t know what would turn out good quite yet, so having more content to work with would allow me to experiment with more possible scenarios. This need for more content, became even more apparent when I started editing. I became frustrated with a lack of available film from the early stages of learning. I was satisfied with what I had towards the end — I almost always had the camera on during the last few days of practice. 

The reluctance to film came from a number of different sources. Firstly, I was worried about space on my SD card. This was a case of pure laziness; I didn’t want to transfer the videos to my computer when the SD card inevitably got full, so I assumed I would only film the key moments in my progression. However, it is difficult to know when you will have a “key” moment so I missed a couple of moments I should have captured. I was also definitely film shy. It was extremely awkward being in front of a camera. Along with being film shy, while practicing, there was strong pressure to perform which at times caused me to perform worse. I got a couple of good solve times while not filming; it was often easier to practice without the camera on. 

As the week went on the pressure from the camera began to lesson. To get rid of the shyness in front of the camera, I talked to the camera for a long time as if it were an actual person, which is reflective of the final state of the video because I will be talking to other people through the video. After this session of spouting off at the camera, the awkwardness began to disappear. Also after I started to film consistently, the pressure to perform started to lessen; it wasn’t even close to disappearing completely but that isn’t necessarily a bad thing as there is always a certain pressure when it comes to performing.