The story, not the history, as relatable

“Is there a written art that is the furthest away from you and both the most meaningful to you?”

It took me a while to think of a written medium that fits into this category, of something relative to me yet so incredibly different than who I am right now. So I brainstormed what the different written forms I consume, from songs to books to texts. I thought of all the assigned reading I had to do for all of my classes this semester, and while I wasn’t a fan of reading history from judgmental white dudes (like Le Corbusier on architecture, ugh), I really enjoy reading about history.

To clarify, not just history, but the cultures, habits, struggles, and achievements of civilizations throughout the age of existence. Technically, nothing can be further away from me (chronologically) than learning about why cave art drawings were made during the Paleolithic era.

The fact that we enjoy learning about the people in history is a little sweet to me. We were doing relatable things back in 12,000 BCE. It gives me hope that humans will always find something in common, since, if we can relate to cultures from way back when, we can relate to the diverse cultures around the world today.  Whether its having the same favorite song or drawing the same cave painting of a bison, we all like to express ourselves. An endearing thought, isn’t it?

We all have access to history, but how do we know if it’s a proper retelling? If it’s good quality writing? Or is history even relatable?

In my opinion, learning about battle strategy from the War of 1812 isn’t relatable, but reading a personal account from a nurse at a military camp or from a soldier on the British side could be much more relatable. Its the difference between black -and-white factual writing and colorful writing.