What pressure do I need to perform at my best?

This is something I’ve been trying to determine for a while, and I’m not really sure if I’ll ever have a concrete answer. I think it depends on what I’m trying to do — the process I use to study for a science exam is much different than how I write good essays. That’s similar for what pressure I need, too.

I think I need a personal connection to the material to do it, or at least motivation that stems within myself instead of someone else. I think back to high school soccer and how my dad wanted me to be into so bad. But I just wasn’t. There wasn’t any motivation coming from me to be a good soccer player. So I stopped trying as hard as I did when I once cared.

However, for the gateway final project, I felt a personal drive to make this podcast something I’d be proud of, especially since I’ve wanted to create a podcast for a while now. There weren’t any barriers or rubrics or a grading scale I had in the back of my mind. So, I just started creating. It also helped having a hard deadline (I made myself be done by the showcase) so I could let myself breathe instead of constantly tweaking minor things that don’t really make a difference. I feel the same way with my German and environmental science exams — I want so badly to speak German fluently, and I have a passion for understanding how the Earth works.

So maybe it’s personal drive and deadlines and freedom all wrapped into one? I’m not sure. This is the best I’ve got.