Writing and mental health

As a senior, I’m frequently asked what I want to do after I graduate, and even though I don’t know the answer yet, this project has really got me thinking about my passion for mental health and writing. If I look back, I can see how these two seemingly distant disciplines have always walked hand in hand in my life. When I was an adolescent, I started writing because of my struggles with mental health. Writing was my only outlet and my first form of therapy. Writing about my struggles has helped me finding a way out of my pain and a way into myself. Even though I’m in a much better place with my mental health today, writing on my journal is still one of my favorite things. Whenever something happens in my life, I feel that impulse to grab a pen, open my journal and write. Writing is so important to me that if I was sent to a desert island and I could only take one object with me, I will definitely take my journal (and a pen obviously – I know, that’s two objects, but they can’t go alone).

With this project, I was able, once again, to write about mental health. But this time I used writing to help other people rather than myself. This morning, I realized how much this matters to me and even though I’m almost done with the project, I don’t want this to be the last time I write about mental health to help others. I don’t know what my future job will look like yet, but I do want both writing and mental health to be parts of it.

2 thoughts to “Writing and mental health”

1. Hi Giulia, it’s so awesome that this project has fueled your passion for mental health advocacy! In my opinion, there aren’t many things more important than mental health awareness. Myself and nearly all of my friends struggle with anxiety and/or depression, among other mental illnesses, but nevertheless there’s a huge stigma surrounding talking about mental health openly. And I think writing about it – whether it be in a personal journal or for a public audience – is a wonderful way to destigmatize it.

I also write in a journal, and like you, I’ve found it to be deeply therapeutic. However, I’ve noticed that the only times I write in it are when I’m really sad, and only once a month or so. I’ve been meaning to make an effort to write more in there in general, including when I’m happy. What you’ve written about your own journal has inspired me to get going on that.

1. Hi El, I’m so happy to heat that my post has inspired you to write in your journal! I think it’s a great way to make some clarity in your head, especially when you’re having a hard time. But it’s also a way to appreciate life when it gives you something good!
      And yes, I totally agree with you – there aren’t many things as important as mental health!!