Reflecting and stuff

I’m excited and I’m nervous. I’m nervous because I’m excited, and I’m excited because I’m nervous. You follow, right?

I *love* the concept of a capstone project — the freedom, the creative possibility, the writing, all of it. But it’s precisely that open-endedness that’s left me uncertain. I thought I had a pretty good idea, and then I wasn’t sure if it was too rigid. I added three more good ideas, and now I’m starting from square one, wondering what I should be pouring in four months of effort into. I want this to be something I’m proud of. What if I choose the wrong path, and don’t realize before it’s too late? Are my ideas too academic? Are they too ambitious? Not ambitious enough?

This is also, I must say, Classic Max. Hesitating and pondering, running it all in my head way beyond the necessary, healthy amount. So here we are. And I have to say, both of those feelings — nervousness and excitement — were heightened after Tuesday’s class, both because the other members of my group have such cool ideas and because it’s here right now.

Taking a step back, I know I’m ready to throw myself, my energy, my thought, my focus into this project. I feel fortunate that something in an academic setting could get me this excited, and that I’m passionate about writing, generally.

Which is to say: I’m ready. Let’s do this. I think?

4 thoughts to “Reflecting and stuff”

1. I’ve been feeling the same way!! Definitely feel back at square one and intimated by all my peers awesome ideas. I also ended my blog post the same way, “let’s do this!!” It feels comforting to be on your same page.

2. I feel like I am totally in the same boat. That combination feeling of nervousness and excitement. It’s overwhelming and also really motivating. But I can’t help but fear being discouraged once the process officially begins and I hit a road block as all writers do at some point in their journey (multiple points in my experience). But we all got each others’ backs with this project and this milestone of our writer lives so I hope you feel the same way when I say WE CAN DO THIS!!!

3. First of all, I am so happy to commenting on each others’ blog posts again. Reading your writing and working together are some of my favorite things, and I’m excited to be back. I don’t know how equipped I am to advise you, because you’re struggling with the same things I struggle with. I also don’t really know what to do with so many ideas that seem good, but… are they? It’s so daunting to think about committing this entire project to the wrong idea. That being said, you probably don’t have any wrong ideas. I can’t wait to hear more about them.

4. Wish I could hit RT on this post. I’m also feeling like the vastness of the project is slightly intimidating. Picking a topic and then needing to commit to it for a semester is scary. But I think — or at least, I hope — that thinking out loud in class and bouncing ideas off of one another will be helpful and clarifying. It’s comforting knowing that we’re all in this together; I’ve loved reading your pieces at the Daily, so I’m really excited to see what awesome stuff you come up with this semester.