Uncomfortable Conversation

I would like to to reach an audience that is not usually brought into the conversation nor abruptly enters, which means to do so means I will practice being the mediator between my field of study and the outside audience.

Everyone would like their writing to be good, if not excellent, but what is good writing? Is it good if enough people read it? Is it good if only a certain group are able to read it? What if writing was judged on what it represented, the ethic within the piece?

As I begin to interview people who I do not usually talk to, I am hesitant to do so because of the unpredictable outcome. Will this turn into good writing? Will my readers like it? But then I also consider the ethical questions, would this piece create more equality as it brings in more diverse voices?

As a writer, I am choosing to put the ethical question before others. Questioning, how would my piece impact the lives of others? This encouraged me to enter spaces and conversation that I am unfamiliar with, yet at the same time, my syntax and diction must be persuasive to the reader. So despite the question of ethics, the reader must be able to connect with the piece in order to be persuaded. A piece of good writing is not necessarily based on ethics, but who the readers are that are connecting to it, be it select audience or the mass.

One thought to “Uncomfortable Conversation”

1. Hi Gabrielle – I think this is an insightful comment. Your discomfort with needing to be the “mediator” between your field of study and the general public illustrates an inherent issue, which I think your project is addressing: there’s a huge disconnect between museums (like KMA) and actual people. In fact, there’s a certain level of elitism/lack of accessibility. This is perhaps why you feel the need to mediate.

That’s a big task, and it’s impossible to interview “everyone.” I wonder if it would be illuminating to talk to people who DO go to institutions like KMA regularly. Perhaps by identifying some key characteristics of that demographic, you can see where the exclusion lies. This might help you pinpoint a big-picture problem with how museums connect to the public.