Final Thoughts—And Insights?

Future Capstone Students,

I’m tasked with giving you some advice on the class (generally), and on transitioning to online learning (specifically). I feel ill-equipped—candidly, it still feels like I am still learning myself, even as I’m about to click send on my last project of undergraduate. In any event, I hope some of these thoughts prove useful . . . and also know that if you’d like to reach out and chat about the class, I am more than happy to do so.

• By now, you know what the Minor is all about. It’s creative, introspective, and daring. It pushes you out of your comfort zone. Lean into that. It’s likely your last semester in college, and it would be all too easy to take a back seat. Don’t do that. View this project as a culmination of your time at Michigan—academic or otherwise—and commit yourself to it.
  • In that vein, don’t be afraid to try new things. I suppose that’s tired feedback, but seriously—this will feel the most rewarding, in my opinion, if you experiment a bit and use your creative muscles.
  • Try to be open—not only with yourself, but with your classmates too. One of the best things about this class is the sense of community that we developed. It was really a joy to walk into class every week; once we transitioned to online classes, I looked forward to our sessions more than any other. That’s in large part—if not entirely—because of the people that filled the room. Conversation was honest, fun, and at times cathartic.
  • Definitely consult with your peers, professor, and mentors. I’ve found that feedback has been very useful (more so than in any other class).
  • Budget your time, and know yourself. Make sure you dedicate time not only to your project, but to your classmates’ as well. Transitioning to online platforms hasn’t been terribly difficult, but you do need to make sure you’re staying on track, which is often made more difficult by not having the normal routine of going into North Quad every week.
  • Have fun . . . don’t take your time in class for granted. It’s been such a pleasure to spend the last semester in this class, and I’ll surely miss it. Do the 5-minute journaling, and throw yourself into it.

This can be daunting, sure. But all will be well—plan the work and work the plan. I can’t wait to check back here in a few months to see what brilliant pieces you create!