We Made It!

Congratulations to everyone for finishing their Capstones! And a special, very warm and bittersweet congratulations to all my fellow seniors. For many of us, this is the last assignment we will ever turn in at Michigan. Hope you all are doing okay with the existential dread of being a new graduate (and if you aren’t, join the club!)

My Capstone is centered around a legal principle known as environmental personhood. Basically, the idea is that you give natural features (lakes, forests, rivers, etc.) many of the same rights as a legal person. It may sound like an alien concept at first, but the concept of personhood is much more abstract than one would think. This Capstone challenged me immensely. I found the creative non-fiction piece especially scary, because I am apparently very uncomfortable with vulnerability. At the end of the day, I really enjoyed creating my Capstone. You can find it here.

Thank you to the MiW staff, especially Professor Shelley Manis. Shelley was so inspiring and understanding during the pandemic, and before the whole thing too! It meant so much to so many of us.