Breaking the Cracks

This week, I am returning to why I write. I’ve noticed while reviewing my essay that I’m being deceiving. As always, I never reveal how I truly feel. I rarely let people in, and when I do, I never fully embrace it.

Internalization.

My secrets and thoughts are my own. They are none of your business. Yet, while I write, I inadvertently expand the cracks in my wall, but I end up sealing them before I got too far.

That ends now.

Why did I start pursuing writing?

Katie Addison, that’s why. She was a good friend in high school, and I read all of her English papers. Her writing was eloquent and creative. I wanted that–needed that to some extent.

I always strive to be the best. I’m very competitive. What can I say? It’s my personality.

My insecurity has driven me to want to be a better writer. I write to regain confidence, to feel comfortable with my ability. This is interconnected with my speech as well. Unless I am in a very informal setting, my speech becomes slurred, and I sound like I am running out of breath. In part, I write to alleviate this condition, so I can confidently spit out sentences when nervous. These two reasons are at the root of why I started writing.

So there you have it for once. The truth.

Joseph Elliott

Hello, my name is Joseph Elliott, and I am a student at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, obtaining a Minor in Writing.