“But blogging requires an embrace of such hazards, a willingness to fall off the trapeze rather than fail to make the leap.” – Andrew Sullivan

Writing in general requires an author to take risks. The best papers and novels aren’t those that are innocent and plain; rather, they are pieces that require the author to take a chance, experiment with ideas, arguments and word choice, and challenge the audience. From my own experience, I have found my best papers to be those that challenge the readers’ beliefs and effectively convince the audience to consider a different approach to an argument that once seemed black and white. In my opinion, successful writing requires one to take risks and not just write about the easiest topic to defend.

Blogging is one of the riskiest forms of writing because it is immediate, egocentric, and extremely honest. In the words of Andrew Sullivan a journalist and blogger for The Atlantic, blogging is “intimate, improvisational, and individual, but also collective.” A blog allows an author to gather and record their most intimate thoughts on a public forum that is immediately accessible to millions of readers. Furthermore, there’s a sense of permanency that blogging entails. Once someone blogs something, it’s almost impossible to totally delete. Along with this permanency and wide-reaching accessibility comes a natural fear of being rejected, judged, or dismissed by the audience. Thus far, the Writing Minor community has created an environment that fosters individuality and honest writing, which makes blogging an interactive and enjoyable process. I enjoy reading the ideas of my peers and sharing my ideas with them in an academic, yet laidback, forum.