From Gatsby to Lindstrom

As was written by Joseph Conrad and wisely repeated by one of my professors “a work that aspires, however humbly, to the condition of art must carry its justification in every line”. In my opinion, that is what makes a work superior. With this in mind, one particular piece stands out to me agaist all others. Ever since the day I read about the eyes of Dr. TJ Eckleburg in my 9th grade english class, the image has been burned into my brain. I can almost envision the green light at the end of the dock, and if I listen closely I can hear the sound of coins jingling in Daisy’s voice. If you have read it, there is no doubt that you have guessed by now that the piece I am referring is The Great Gatsby by F Scott Fitzergerald. If you haven’t read it, you should. Never before had I read a book that changed my life, and never since after has any piece had such a lasting impact. With every word Fitzgerald overwhelms you with the intensity of the American dream. His writing captures a snapshot of one of the most interesting defining moments in American history; however, the message is timeless and haunting. He wastes no words; each and every one is carefully, intentionally selected. It is novel that must be read and reread to find all of the hidden secrets. Each line stands alone, more prolific than the next. The result is a novel that titillates the intellect and is impossible to forget.

My second piece I chose for a very different reason. Its not that I wouldn’t want to emulate Fitzgerald’s style if I could. He is clearly a phenomenal writer; however, my second writer has a gift possessed by few. One sunday morning when I was reading the paper, I came across an interesting headline in the sports section. It spurred me to keep reading which was unusual for me. Not the reading part, but the sports part. Quite frankly, I don’t give a damn about sports. Or I didn’t, until I started reading Mitch Albom’s column in the Free Press. Something about his writing sucked me in. He had an ability to make me interested in something that I just simply had no interest in. The more I read his writing, the more interested I became. Now, because of Mitch, I will never miss a Red Wings game. He is the writer I would like to emulate. If you can get a reader who has no interest in the subject upon which you are writing to suddenly become an avid fan, well then, you must be one hell of a writer.

One thought to “From Gatsby to Lindstrom”

1. That’s a really interesting way of looking at Albom’s writing, and I think it’s a great goal to aspire towards as a writer. The fact that he took a subject you had little to no interest in previously really speaks positively about the power of writing. I’m curious though, what about his writing made it so interesting to you? Obviously, his writing as a whole was inspiring, but was there anything in particular that really stood out and made you think, “Oh wow, this is great” ?