Ghostwriting and plagiarism.

It is really interesting to think about the connections between ghostwriting and plagiarism.  Deborah Brandt explores this phenomenon in her piece, Literacy and Learning.  It is extremely odd to think that though plagiarism is majorly frowned upon in any academic or literary world, ghostwriting is fairly common.  Isn’t ghostwriting essentially plagiarism?  Let alone the fact that Brandt highlights a ghostwriting company that claims to be reputable in protecting “authors” (buyers of the ghostwriter’s work) from lawsuits regarding plagiarism.  That is just hilarious to me.  The author, especially professionals, should not have to rely on someone else to write for them.  If the person is famous, there is a reason that they got into that position in the first place.  Their writing must be successful enough to stand on their own.  Are they really that lazy that they no longer feel the need to write, yet still want credit for writing?  The other question I have is about the ghostwriter: who are these people?  They obviously have talent if they can pass off their work for someone else’s.  Why are they not trying to get their own name out there?  Why feel the need to spend time on a piece and then get none of the credit?  The whole thing is laughable to me.