Spilling Your Heart Out in Words

I chose Jodi Picoult’s My Sister’s Keeper and Kerry Cohen’s Loose Girl. Both of these pieces of writing are excellently written and intellectually engaging, and for that reason, I would like to emulate both.

I’ll start with My Sister’s Keeper. Ask anyone who knows me and they will tell you I do not like to read, unless it’s a woman’s magazine or lively blog post. Whenever I was assigned summer readings in high school, I would literally jump up and down screaming in excitement each time I finished a book. But my mom and sister would not stop raving about My Sister’s Keeper, so I decided to give it a shot.

Once I started reading the book, I could not put it down. This book’s controversial topic and unique writing style was so engaging. I selected My Sister’s Keeper because it is one of the only fiction books I have enjoyed reading so much. Picoult’s words jump off the page and put you at the center of the action. This is what I strive for when I write. To me, without emotion and personality, there is no need for words. When I read something, I like to feel the truth, the sincerity, the passion behind a subject and Picoult does an amazing job of this.

Each chapter of the book is written from a different character’s point of view and is also printed in a different font. It helps the reader distinguish who’s saying and feeling what and when these words and emotions come out. I would love to write a book that expresses such a challenging topic in a style and tone that engages readers like me. There are so many unexpected twists and turns in the book; it’s no surprise it was turned into a movie.

Now on to Loose Girl. You may question the credibility of a book with that title, but believe me when I tell you it was one of the most engaging, powerful books I’ve ever read. It’s a personal memoir of Kerry Cohen’s struggle with promiscuity and addiction to male attention. I read it after seeing recommendations on a blog I follow and write for.

Loose Girl is very detailed and descriptive from the very start of the book. Instead of slowly opening up as a writer and expressing herself more and more as the personal memoir progresses, Cohen leaves nothing to the imagination from page one. I selected this piece because it reveals what the author is thinking and feeling. It’s very personal, and at the same time, easy to relate to. This is the kind of writing I plan to do.

“The unforgettable memoir of one young woman who desperately wanted to matter, Loose Girl will speak to countless others with its compassion, understanding, and love.”

By being so honest and engaging, Cohen gives a great message to women and girls. The vulnerable topic of Loose Girl is almost blinded by Cohen’s strength as a writer. I hope to someday write about touchy subjects in a way that portrays confidence so my readers may learn and grow from their inner struggles.

I admire these writers for spilling out their hearts in words.

2 thoughts to “Spilling Your Heart Out in Words”

1. Your commendation of My Sister’s Keeper for its use of different fonts is echoed in your own writing. You effectively use bold, italics, and underline to emphasize particular lines and really get the reader to pay attention to them. There is a balanced amount of these deviations from plain prose and you use it to the post’s advantage.

2. I love your image of spilling one’s heart out in words! It’s a quality in writing that is very difficult to do. I, too, want to be more honest in my writing. I think your use of bolded and italicized sentences starts to get at that honesty. It strips down your sentiments into a few sentences so that even if a reader is scanning your post, they are drawn in. It’s very clever of you to borrow from techniques used in magazine articles in your post.