Why I Write, 9/8

I enjoyed reading both Orwell and Didion’s pieces for I thought that they delivered honesty into their pieces.  We all, as writers, know why we write: pleasure, requirement, communication. Not everyone enjoys writing academically but at some point, we all do enjoy writing something for someone else.

One was of Didion showing her honesty was through her personal opinion of writing being the way she delivers her thoughts. When she writes, she wants others to believe what she is saying and go along with what she believes.  Didion states, “In many ways writing is the act of saying I, imposing oneself upon other people, of saying listen to me, see it my way, change your mind.”  I believe that many writers would not admit to such a statement for this honesty can make the audience second guess what the writer is saying. While reading a piece, you don’t want doubt to be in the back of the mind’s of anyone who is reading, but rather you want them to go along with you and understand you. Didion pointing out that she wants to change your mind opens up the audience to realizing her honesty.

Orwell proved his honesty as writer but not in the same was as Didion.  Orwell believes that, “All writers are vain, selfish, and lazy, and at the very bottom of their motives there lies a mystery.” What a bold statement to make. However, he is partially true. Writers can become very selfish, seeing as one of their motives to write is to get everyone to see something the way they see it. They are not always the most open-minded of scholars, for if they try to argue more than one point or position, their opinion can often get lost on the paper, computer screen, print out, etc.

Honesty is the part I like about writing the most. I feel that I can be the most honest while writing more than any other time in my life. Whether it’s writing a little thank you note to my mother, a course evaluation for a class that went wrong, or a constitution for my club at school, it’s the way that I can express myself easiest and be honest with what I want to say.

That’s the beauty of writing: you can say what you wish to say.