Writing Out Loud

I chose to title this post “Writing Out Loud” because, to me, blogging feels like the writer is talking out loud and sharing something with you. In its unconventional nature, it allows a sort of conversation to occur between writer and reader.

Blogging has always been a genre of writing that I have struggled with. I don’t know if it is just because I am a perfectionist and I want my writing to reflect that or if I am afraid of fully exposing myself to the World Wide Web. I really enjoyed reading Andrew Sullivan’s article “Why I Blog” because it opened my eyes to many aspects of the “blogging” genre. The instantaneous nature of blogging requires a successful author to not only be open to criticism, but also to interact with his/her readers. The commenting feature of blogs allows anyone and everyone to be your “editor.”

Sullivan points out an important difference between a log and a book and that is “as you read a log, you have the curious sense of moving backward in time as you more forward in pages…” This was something that I never thought about. A log or in this case, a blog, has an unknown ending because it is catalog history as it happens. This history may just be the writer’s feelings, but it may also be actual monumental events. Sullivan points out how blogs allow writer and reader to experience these events together. He mention how his readers and him experienced 9/11 together, “in real time.”

I think this friendship and/or shared experience that blogging allows between writer and reader is what is the most transforming aspect of this genre. Now, instead of reading a magazine or newspaper article and forming your own opinion, you can share that opinion with the writer. And, the writer will actually respond to you. Blogs allow for the writer to feel like an intimate friend opposed to a distant public figure. Personality is the aspect I find most rewarding about blogging. Unlike ever before, the voice of the author can be easily heard because there are no editors telling you to edit your voice.