Writing, Reacting to My Environment

Why do I write? More importantly, why should I write? The questions are simple, but the answers aren’t immediate.

Most of the time, I write, not knowing why. I wish I was one to jot down ideas throughout the day to write about later, but I’ve never been that type. I write to appease my professors and employers. It isn’t an act of creativity; it’s a bout of reactivity.

I might not write leisurely, but I continually place myself in writing environments. In my essay, I will explore this—contradiction?—thoroughly. My motivations do not always align with each other, but that’s okay.

For the most part, I will talk about the contrast between my motivation to write for professional purposes and for conquering my challenge of writing. Each has a different purpose, and I value one more than the other. But that’s for you to find out in my essay.

Joseph Elliott

Hello, my name is Joseph Elliott, and I am a student at the University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, obtaining a Minor in Writing.

One thought to “Writing, Reacting to My Environment”

1. It’s really interesting how you are drawn to writing even though you never write leisurely. I can relate to this because I never write without a purpose, whether it be for school, a job, an application, or a letter to someone. I never write on my own volition, yet I constantly place myself in writing environments just like you. Do you think maybe you subconsciously have a desire to write for yourself on your own terms in a creative rather than reactive manner?