Both we and our words are overproduced

Words. I am so sick of words. In the last week, I have written 3 papers, 4 journal responses, read 3 books, 6 articles, and 2 screen plays. No, this is not an exaggeration. It is getting to the point where hearing words is like nails on a chalkboard. So many words are wasted. The message can be effectively communicated in half the words, or in the case of conversation, merely a look. I want to escape. I want silence. And yet…

Words are so necessary to everyday existence. The behavioral theory of psychology suggests that it is because of reinforcement that language develops. We are rewarded for using our words. For example, when you ask for a glass of milk, you get it because your mother understands what you want. Without words, it would be far more difficult to communicate my need.

Yesterday, I went out to dinner with a friend. He was, as usual, talking a mile a minute which generally doesn’t bother me; however, yesterday I found myself wishing he would just shut up. I really wanted some peace and quiet. As I opened my mouth to ask if we could simply not talk for a few minutes, I realized that in order to get what I wanted, I had to produce the very thing that was driving me crazy: words.

It is obvious that language and I really have a love hate relationship right now. This relationship is familiar not romantic. It is like my relationship with my Mother: I love her, but she definitely gets on my nerves. You can’t choose your family, and you can’t simply dump them when they annoy you. Deep down, I am enamored with words; however, right now I would do anything to be rid of them, but as I learned this week, that is impossible.¬†