Hello from a fellow blogger!

Hello everyone,

My name is Allison – you probably don’t know me because, unfortunately, I had to defer Writing 200 until next semester due to scheduling conflicts, but I am still a part of your cohort! I’ve read many of your blog posts, and to be quite honest, I’m a bit intimidated. I’ve never been a fan of meeting people virtually, but I think getting to know you all through your writing/posts will be a really new and interesting experience. Hopefully I will get to meet some of you in future Minor in Writing courses, but for now, I hope that you enjoy reading my posts, because I have definitely enjoyed reading yours.

I’d like to make my first post about my most interesting writing experience this year. I’m currently enrolled in English 325, an upper-level writing course titled “Art of the Essay.” Our first paper was quite challenging: 8-12 pages about a “quest” to cover a story or event, to expose a group, activity, or lifestyle with which most people are unfamiliar, or to find an answer to a complex question or mystery. What an intimidating assignment! There is obviously so much going on around us in Ann Arbor, but what could I possibly write about that would be something my readers have never heard of or experienced before? Well, I decided to combine my love of food and writing for this assignment: I took a pizza class at Zingerman’s! Everyone knows about Zingerman’s, but how many of us have actually gone behind their kitchen doors and learned how to make that delicious bread that keeps thousands of visitors coming each year? It was a really, really fun paper to write because I had a vested interest in the subject matter and was excited to show my readers my experience. I titled the paper “The Other American Pie: Lessons Learned from the Bread Boss.” The paper was organized into various “lessons” that I learned during the class, such as “Willpower” (walking through their bakery and not buying anything was definitely an exercise in willpower), “Preparing for Success 101” (we learned how to be successful in baking every time we set out to create delicious foods), and “Intro to Philosophy” (the class was a very spiritual experience with regards to learning, sharing food, and being social).

Have any of you ever gotten an assignment that really and truly intimidated you upon first reading the requirements? How did you deal with it? Were you happy with the results?

– Allison

4 thoughts to “Hello from a fellow blogger!”

1. Hi Allison! This was really cool to see that someone else is actually reading our blog posts. I honestly didn’t expect it! I am also currently enrolled in Eng 325 and was initially really excited by our first assignment. However, I had the opposite experience where I found that actually writing the paper was a lot more intimidating and complex than I anticipated. It never did turn out quite where I wanted it to be by the time the deadline rolled around. But that happens, I guess.

I look forward to meeting you in our capstone class!

2. Funny that you talk about English 325 and how intimidating your first assignment was. I had the exact same experience in 325 last year. I actually expected the class to be focused on academic essays, and when the professor uttered “creative non-fiction” for the first time, I seriously considered dropping the class. It ended up being my favorite class I’ve ever taken at the university, and it’s one of the major reasons I’m part of this minor.

Enjoy 325 – it’s a blast (especially if you’re taking it with Natalie Bakoupolous). I hope you have as an enjoyable experience as I did, and that you enjoy the minor as much as I am (as stressful as it can occasionally be).

3. Hey Allison! It is nice to virtually meet you! I hope you liked all of our posts haha. Your pizza paper sounds really interesting, it is weird how sometimes the most intimidating of assignments can become our best papers. I get intimidated by assignments all the time especially when I have to write in a style I’m not used to like for philosophy, but somehow the paper gets written!

4. Hey Allison! I think it’s interesting that you’re getting to know our class through our blogs because I feel like you have a whole picture in your head about who we are based on what we say in our blogposts. Don’t be intimidated! I look forward to reading your posts!
    -Katy