My awful time with this repurposing essay…

This re-purposing assignment was really exciting to me at first.  I had actually picked two pieces of writing that I thought I could possibly use for this project and that is what I brought to class however, once I got to class, I had an idea for a totally different project.  Let me just say this now: I should have gone with one of the two that I had originally brought in.

I guess the biggest thing that has sabotaged my project is the fact that I am super excited for the remediating assignment that comes after this and I want to try to keep these two projects separate.  Which is difficult to say the least.   How can I put all of my energy into one paper when I continuously think of new ideas for the other one?

Source: bookchums.com

And it didn’t help that the words seemed to be stuck in my head.  Usually when I’m writing a paper, the words seem to fall out of my fingertips and just appear on the computer screen.  Not this time.  I caught myself alternating between staring blankly at the screen, checking my Facebook, checking my email, and then forcing myself to type something down on Word.  Then after I read what I wrote, I would realize that everything I said was either really confusing or just generally all over the place.  I would delete everything, stare blankly at the screen and the cycle would repeat all over again.  Maybe if I tell you more about the project, you’ll understand why this is so hard for me.

I’m writing (or attempting to write) an article for the Huffington Post about the relationship between mothers and teenage daughters and the daughter’s sexuality.  The first hurdle that I had to jump through was the fact that I had never heard of the Huffington Post before and had no idea the style in which they write.  This online newspaper/blog was suggested to me by one of my group members and sounded to be like the perfect pop culture-type setting that I wanted my piece to fit into.  I wanted to run as far away as I could from a strictly academic paper, I write enough of those for other classes and they are not so fun.  So first, I had to read up on the Huffington Post to make sure that I could try to adopt the clear voice that is shared by most of their writers.

It seemed pretty do-able.  Their articles all seem to integrate this personal/narrative quality which I think is pretty cool.  Plus there was a section for parents of teenagers so I thought that would be the perfect place for my article to fit in.  At this point, it seemed like things had turned around.

Source: 123RF

Until it came time to start my first draft.  In class, Naomi said that it could be a mess of ideas, bullet points, blurbs of writing.  It didn’t have to be a formal first draft.  I definitely took advantage of that option.  I did some research and found six different psychology articles that I thought fit into my topic.  I started writing down ideas and had a ton!  I was really interested in what each of the articles had found – stuff about what parents teach their children about reproduction, stuff about the changes that adolescent girls go through, stuff about how parents’ views on premarital sex affects their kids, and stuff about how the type of relationship a mother has with her daughter can affect the daughter’s sexual behavior.

So I guess now I have to decide exactly what I want to focus on – yesterday in class I think I overwhelmed the peers in my group because there were so many places that I wanted to take this essay.  Oddly, just writing about it has somewhat helped me clear my head.  Maybe I can actually write something now…

2 thoughts to “My awful time with this repurposing essay…”

1. I really enjoyed talking about your ideas for this assignment, because you can take it in so many different directions that are actually really relevant to social relationships between mothers and daughters in our generation, at least as I have come to understand them! The topic you’re discussing is super awkward, and I think that’s why it has so much potential–because people simply don’t talk about it. Whether you decide to take a psychology approach to address why teens and parents are uncomfortable with the topic, or a more general approach to analyzing the dynamics of mother daughter relationship, I think that the most important thing is that you ask a question that’s particularly interesting to YOU. What is it about this topic you find is particularly important to be discussed more, and why?

2. Hey! I know sometimes writer’s block can be really frustrating. It happens to the best of us. What really helps me sometimes is just to type out little notes and ideas that are bouncing around in my head. I’m not trying to really organize my thoughts or aim for any quality of writing at that point. Then I go back and try to arrange those comments into an organization. Then I elaborate on each note. It really helps me get a start when I feel like writing the paper is impossible.