Writing down the memories!

I have this thing about holidays- I always have to write them down. Always. I always have to write about who was there. What we ate. What we did. What we talked about.  I always take a group photo and include it. I know it might sound dumb, especially seeing as we eat the same thing on Thanksgiving every year, and my family is pretty small so it’s always the same people attending our gatherings. But there’s just something special about each holiday that passes that sets it apart from every other one.

I don’t know what it is, but there is something special about every time I get to spend a day with my family and celebrate being together.  And for as long as I’ll live, I’ll have this little booklet thing about all the holidays we spent together.  Just a way to feel close to them.  Just thought I’d share since this is a writing class, and I’m sure you all can appreciate, in some form or another, the way I choose to record my family memories.

Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!

In the picture directly below I am the baby to the left, being held by my mom.  While I clearly was not able to record this memory it makes me laugh to see my family in such a dated picture. I figured you would like it!

Also, here we are again, except with my sister and my youngest cousin, along with my one uncle and my aunt that were married after the first picture. See how our family dynamic changed? While I guess it’s not important, I like to remember these kinds of changes.

And one more thing- the clothes are pretty funny, aren’t they? Just think, in 20 or 30 years, we are going to look back on our family pictures now and wonder what we were thinking. 🙂

2 thoughts to “Writing down the memories!”

1. I think this is so great! One thing my family laments every time there is a major occasion: holidays, graduations, births, weddings—is the complete lack of family pictures we have!
    And no worries on having the same thing every year, I have watched the same rotation of Christmas movies every year with my family for as long as I can remember and I love every minute of it.
    Happy Thanksgiving!

2. Family photos are always so revealing. You can really get a sense of the whole group dynamic. It’ll be interesting for you to have that catalog – kind of like a family photo album on steroids. Great historian practice!