ePortfolio Answers on Moscow Time

So it’s really late, and I’m really tired and burnt out and will have to stay up at least another hour and half because I’ve got to do the dishes and revise my paper for this class, so here are the answers with a side of college-kid resentment and nothing more:

WRITING 200.001 Fall 2011
“Gateway” Electronic Portfolio

How do you want to present yourself as a writer?

I want to present myself as a good writer, obviously.  That’s why I am in this minor.  I want to focus on career-useful pieces of writing, though.

Who is your ideal audience?

Future employers.  

What are some ways your portfolio can be distinctive, both in terms of how it presents you as a writer and in terms of the media and design you employ.

Having a portfolio in and of itself will hopefully set me apart, as most people who are not entering explicitly writing-focused professions will probably not have a put-together collection of their writing.  I’m not sure what you mean by “media and design” – do you mean the actual layout of the portfolio?  Since I envision this portfolio being a career help, I suppose I don’t necessarily want my portfolio to be distinctive, unless it is my writing that is making it so.

What reading experience do you want your audience to have, both of the portfolio as a whole (i.e., the navigation and layout) and of the particular artifacts you include (i.e., examples of your writing and other materials you choose to post)?

I would like to make the reading experience easy, but not simplistic.  I’d like the navigation and layout to not be flashy, as the main star of the portfolio should be my writing.  As I mentioned above, I would like to produce a sample of writings that would be beneficial to expressing my career interests.

For instance, there’s no reason that posting a class paper to your portfolio needs to mean simply attaching a pdf or copying a Word doc into a webpage.  What if you were to design the manuscript as a true webpage?  What would that mean in terms of layout, use of hypertext, use of annotation software, etc?

I would not like to use annotation software, but thanks for asking.  Of course I’d like to design the portfolio as a webpage, and of course that will mean creating a hyperlinked index on the “homepage”.

How interactive do you want your portfolio to be, and to what end?

I would not like my portfolio to be interactive beyond hyperlinking things, but thanks.

Do you want it to incorporate a blog or a Twitter feed, or other web 2.0 elements?  Do you want to allow comments?  Do you want to incorporate gaming elements?  Do you want to give your audience tasks to do to engage them not only as consumers?  Why?

No to all, as that would be unprofessional and make prospective employers feel that I was writing the portfolio for self-aggrandizement, or that I was attempting to be overly aggressive in defending myself in the job market.

Do you want your portfolio to be organized around a guiding theme or metaphor or thesis?  Do you want subthemes or subsections?  How explicit do you want the theme or metaphor or thesis to be?  Why?

As I have said before, I would like to present myself as a person capable of being a Museum Educator – or, barring that, a good candidate for more general museum outreach programs.  I would not like to present a thesis, necessarily, as this would create too much of an academic feel.

What media do you want to include in your portfolio, and why?
Do you want to include sound (or even have a soundtrack)?  Do you want to include video?  What role will images play?  Do you want to include maps?

I would like to include images where appropriate.  For example, in my mock digital exhibit, and perhaps in the “about” page.  I do not want images or video or sound to conflict with my portfolio’s purpose.