Yikes! The semester is ending!

Today, I finally sat down to put into my planner for the week all of the dates and meetings I had been putting off for some time.

This made me realize 2 things:

1. There are not a lot of days left in this semester.

2. There is a ton of work left in this semester.

I’m not going to bog this down with everything that I have due coming up because I don’t want to feel sorry for myself. Let’s face it, we all have a lot of work to do and we will all deal with it however we do.  However, I couldn’t help but start thinking about this summer and how I ended up in the Minor in Writing. So, it’s kind of writing-related and will put me at post number 15 : )

My teachers through elementary school usually complimented me on my writing, but it was a compliment I didn’t pay much mind to. I figured most of what I knew was just from reading a lot. My mom had always read to us as kids, it was just something everyone picked up on. Fast-forward to last summer. I am at a total loss for what to do with my life. I wasn’t pre-med or anything like that and I was really trying to objectively evaluate my strengths and figure out what I was good at. Writing reluctantly came to mind. I pushed it out of my head though because I thought there was surely nothing I could do with that, or moreover, that it would be an impossible field to make it in. Successful writers are few and far between. At any rate, I read this book The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks.  Have you heard of it? It’s a great read. The author, Rebecca Skloot, was a “science writer.” I Googled it, I was curious to see if that was a legitimate career. IT IS. I was blown away. In fact, there is a whole National Association of Science Writers! I couldn’t believe it.

Also that summer, I had enrolled late into an English 325 class that had 1 seat left open in it. The title of the class was Art of the Essay, the topic was creative nonfiction. I wasn’t sure if creative nonfiction was an actual genre or a teacher-created one. Apparently, it is a legit one because when I was looking at magazines at the Borders clearance sale (RIP Borders), there was an entire magazine called Creative Nonfiction. I bought it and was reading it at work one day when the real magic happened. The last article in the magazine was by the editor of the magazine, one Phillip Lopate. Phillip Lopate was also the author of my textbook for my English 325 class. Then, Mr. Lopate mentioned one of his former students in his article, Rebecca Skloot. Yes, THE Rebecca Skloot from the book I had read earlier in the summer.

I’m a big believer in signs from the universe and that my friends, I thought was my sign for what to do with my life. I was pretty wrapped up in the moment then, excited, inspired, ready to conquer the world. Since then, my mind has started to wander again and I don’t really know what I want to do. I just wish I could regain that assuredness (might not be a word…), that enthusiasm, that passion for something. But, it alludes me. Until then, I guess I’ll just keep taking different classes, trying new things, meeting new people, and someday I’ll figure out what I want to do.

I also like quotes. So here’s another one from David Brooks in his article in the New York Times on May 31.

Most of us are egotistical and most are self-concerned most of the time, but it’s nonetheless true that life comes to a point only in those moments when the self dissolves into some task. The purpose in life is not to find yourself. It’s to lose yourself.

One thought to “Yikes! The semester is ending!”

1. 1. RIP Borders
    2. Me likey quotes too
    3. Yes, I just said me likey
    4. Don’t feel bad about not knowing what to do with your life. While I am fortunate enough to not fall into that category, most of my friends are that way. I’d say just keep exploring and one day it will hit you!