Uneasiness

I spent a good amount of time on Friday night creating my e-portfolio through WordPress, and I’ve gotta say, I have mixed feelings about it.

I think what makes me the most hesitant about new media writing in general is not knowing how my work may be perceived. Needless to say, none of the pieces that I will upload are near perfect. Sure, I’ve spent a lot of time thinking and studying some of the philosophical arguments I’ve made in past courses, but I’m certainty not an expert and am pretty certain that most of the philosophy and political science papers I’d like to put up aren’t perfect. What’s even more concerning to me is that the subjects I write about are controversial, and have been discussed by many more qualified individuals. What makes me think my thoughts on these issues are important enough to be shared on my personal web page? Does sharing my work communicate that I think it’s really good, and that I’m particularly impressed with it? After ignorant, pretentious and arrogant is the last thing I want my writing to make me seem.

So yes, I am very excited about designing this space and using it to broadcast some creativity, however I am not confident that most of the papers that I have written are good enough. I think I’ll just have to perfect these pieces before I upload them, because new media is the future for aspiring writers.

2 thoughts to “Uneasiness”

1. This is really interesting. I didn’t think about the piece about coming off with this inflated sense of self-importance because of the pieces of writing you chose. Admittedly, you may be in a different boat than some because of the nature of your pieces, but I think that as young, developing writers, we may have a bit of a pass in the ignorance department in the fact that we aren’t supposed to be experts on everything yet. The fact that we are showing a vested interest in the subject matters may be more important. Also, I think that if you acknowledge that your work is “in progress” rather than absolute, definitive truth, your readers will be accommodating and it may spark some interesting discussion!

2. I totally understand about wondering if your work is good enough. I’m very proud of some of the things I’ve written, but I don’t really want people in those fields to read them because I feel that they won’t be impressed at all, and will find many flaws. This, of course, would not end up leaving a good impression, which is what I want my portfolio to ultimately do.