Untitled

I remember multiple points in my life when I would be watching my parents perform some kind of mundane task exclusively for those whose are older. The task can be as simple as opening a bottle of beer to driving down a freeway. While I felt frustrated and impatience, I also felt a deep sense of curiosity and wonder. What would it be like for me to drive a car, cut steak, raise a child, etc.?

This past week, my class and I were asked to spent a few days studying and reading the “Why I Wrote” essays by two experienced writers. We talked about writing styles and how others write, but we didn’t really a chance to talk about ourselves fully. And so this assignment, to me, gives me the same feeling that I get when I am given the chance to finally do something I’ve been wanting to do all my life.

The challenge I am having with this assignment is whether I have only one reason why I write or multiple. Based on previous studies in my psychology class on reasons for human nature, I believe it is the latter.

I want to write something so good because this is a reflection of me and because I have such high expectations, I am actually stuck and end up writing nothing at all. I need to remind myself to take things one step at a time, as I should with the rest of my life. That way, I can write efficiently and produce something well-thought out and well-written.

3 thoughts to “Untitled”

1. I definitely agree that there are multiple reasons why people write. Maybe there’s a way that certain reasons can be grouped together under a related umbrella reason that might make it easier to organize a paper. Just a thought. I’m having this same problem myself.

Also, and not that I’m in any position to be giving advice, but one of my favorite “life lessons” is that patience really is super important, and that good things really come to those who wait. It’s cliche, but true. Over and over again, I’ve waited, sometimes years, for something to work out. And the funny thing is it always does, in some way.

2. Regina,

I have the same exact problem as you (and sometimes I think it’s one of the worst problems a writer can have): the problem of high expectations. I know I’m capable of great writing, but sometimes my fear that what I write won’t be perfect keeps me from writing anything at all. It sucks! I think our conversations in class about how we need to lower our expectations for rough drafts and trust that our capabilities are still there have been extremely helpful in trying to change my perfectionism. Do you feel the same way?

I also really like how you compared this assignment to events exclusive to adults that we observed when we were younger. I think this assignment will be really freeing for us once we can figure out and articulate what it is that motivates our writing, and will be an important milestone/growing experience in terms of learning more about ourselves as young adults and writers!

– Allie