I have no idea what I’m doing

There are a lot of things I don’t know how to do: I have no idea how to surf, I can’t draw people (although my stick figures are delightful), and I can’t snap my fingers (don’t laugh).   But I know that I’m bad at those things.  I’ve had a lifetime—well, 20 years of one—to get past it.  I only draw stick figures, and I move my fingers in a snappy-like motion if I ever need to be involved in a group snap ritual.

Now I have to create an e-portfolio.  I’ve never created my own website, blog, or anything like it.  I have no idea what I’m doing, and yet this project will put me on display for the world to see (okay…maybe like twenty people).  That’s the scariest part…I don’t have a clue how to make this e-portfolio, and if it sucks there’s no turning back.

Exactly.

Still, the fact that this project is so unknown is exciting.  I can do anything I want with my e-portfolio.  As I saw in examples from the fall cohort, their portfolios were a representation of the things they are passionate about.  Many of them had essays on topics related to their major, while others contained topics it seemed like the authors loved.  As I’ve seen through the Writing 200 class so far, writing is an open exercise.  Writing prompts that are too strict often lead to misguided writing, as the authors are not able to fully express their ideas.  I look forward to having the freedom to create an e-portfolio that is entirely my own, full of things that I’m passionate about.

Writing only crosses into the territory of “good writing” when the author is writing about something they actually care about.  This is the kind of writing I want in my e-portfolio.

3 thoughts to “I have no idea what I’m doing”

1. Hi Stephen Grafton! I am from the past! Well, the past cohort. I was reading some of these blog posts, and noticed that many of you are pretty scared about the e-portfolio. Just for reference, many of our days in class were spent saying the exact same thing. Most of us had no ideas, no experience with the internet, and no conception of what this project would be like, and we all did it. You guys will too! Take it from someone who can’t draw or surf either.

2. Hi Stephen,

I had some similar sentiments about the e–portfolio myself. Although I can do minimal image manipulation and some digital art, I never really put together an entire portfolio online. Hopefully, both you and I can find this a helpful “exercise” in using resources on the Internet.

-Diana

p,s. – My finger-snapping skills aren’t the best either.

3. Stephen,

Thanks for opening up your vulnerability to our writing group. If it’s any consolation I too can’t snap my fingers and share your nervousness in designing an e-portfolio. Perhaps since it appears that our group all share a similar apprehension we can be of support to each other…?