The Posture of a Writer

Benjamin Franklin said it best, “Either write something worth reading or do something worth writing.” I have this term embedded in my brain, stirring up ways that I can do both. The interesting thing about this quote is that if you write something worth reading then you’ve done something worth writing about. And that is the great cycle of reading and writing.
In Brandt’s, “How Writing is Remaking Reading”, she stated, “Reading may make you more productive but writing is more productive”, which is possibly one of the greatest statements on the relationship of reading and writing. However, that statement made me think about how closely my reading affects my writing.
When I know I have an idea or something to write, thoughts start racing through my head, and I get this weird feeling that something needs to go on the page before I explode. Most of the time, those thoughts come after an intense class discussion, which was followed by and intense reading of someone’s text the night before. So, when I read Brandt’s quote I realized how productive reading was to the already unproductive process of writing.
Another thing that struck me was from Brandt’s “The status of Writing” it stated, “Especially powerful reports of the effects of writing-intensity, what happens when people spend anywhere from 30 percent to 90 percent of the work day in the posture of the writer.” This struck me because it made me think about those moments when I have a paper due soon, and I wonder if there is something different about my posture during those times. Or if I’m always in the posture of a writer, allowing myself to be influenced, for the better of my writing, by the world around me. I do not have the results back on my assessment of myself. However, these are definitely some thoughts I will keep in mind in my writing process.

2 thoughts to “The Posture of a Writer”

1. The first quote is very representative of the entire article and I love your inclusion of the Benjamin Franklin quote. The two quotes and the comparisons of the relationships are spot in with the article between writing and reading. Although I must admit, as we talked about in our groups, the 30-90% of time in the posture of a writer is a bit vague and rather humorous to use practically

2. I like the arc of this response, Shanel! Your evocation of Franklin was both appropriate for the article you were thinking about AND (I agree with Sal) inspiring. I also really appreciate the way you came back around to thinking about writing in an embodied AND metaphorical way, playing with the idea of the “posture of the writer.” I’m also intrigued by your implication that the process of writing can be UNproductive (which I’m taking to mean when it doesn’t go as planned, but which could mean other things metaphorically–great). The whole theme of your post could have been even more intricately communicated with some savvy image use, too–don’t forget images. 🙂