The Blog ;-)

I have to admit, I’m still indifferent about blogging. Even after blogging every week, and even after reading other people’s blogs. I think Paige from the Fall cohort said it best when she expressed her initial feelings about blogging, “I didn’t like it, I thought it was busy work.”

Now, I’m fully aware that this is a writing course, I was expecting to write every week. However, I was thinking something more along the lines of free write stuff. Blogging just seemed like a lot of pressure. It was intimidating at first.

When I read Andrew Sullivan’s, Why I Blog the first time the main thing that stuck out to me was his point that blogging was writing out loud. That took a lot of pressure off of me to just write whatever was on my mind. Now, blogging doesn’t seem like a lot of pressure at all it’s just another form of journaling (another point Sullivan makes), and I journal all the time! It’s a very unique form of broadcasting your writing, but I wouldn’t label blogging as a new form of writing. I believe people have been blogging for years, they just did not have an Internet to put it on and people to join in on the conversation with.

I think the thing that makes blogging so unique is it’s quick responses, mixed with emotions, and live facts. And for readers, it’s exhilarating (if the content is juicy) to read, just as exhilarating as finding your sisters diary and reading all the stuff you never knew about her (a feeling I know all to well).

All the same, I’m re-purposing an essay right now that argues the different meanings and interpretations of the word, “bitch” in social settings. It originally was an argument to prove that the word has different meanings other than what is portrayed in the dictionary. In re-purposing the essay, I want to convince writers of the Dictionary to add those other definitions of the word, “bitch” to the actual Dictionary.

I’m turning it from an argumentative essay to something that is strictly opinionated based on the way that I and others use words. This turns it more into blogging because it’s really based off of how I feel when I use words and being limited to dictionary definitions. I haven’t yet worked out all the kinks but it shall come together. I am learning how to integrate blogging into traditional writing. I no longer carry my first reactions about blogging being “busy work”. However, I’ve learned that blogging ain’t such bitch after all.

2 thoughts to “The Blog ;-)”

1. I agree with you about blogging. Initially, it seemed more like a chore than anything else, but I think as the course goes on, it has been a great way for us to get to know each other a bit more. When it comes to writing, constructive criticism is such an essential piece to the overall process. That being said, through the blog I feel as though I have made connections with others in the class that have allowed me to be more honest and helpful when it comes to peer editing and group conversation. I think that your re-purposing piece sounds really interesting and relevant to students our age, so I can’t wait to read it!

2. I have to say, based on my past experience with blogging, I agree that it can sometimes air more on the side of busy work than it does academic composition. At the same time, I think that is the beauty of it—blogging doesn’t have to be/shouldn’t be uptight and bland as it is a more free-form, expressive medium.

Your “bitch” paper/argument is also very interesting and sounds like it will be a lot of fun to write. For me, there are three different forms that the word “bitch” encompasses: the “bitch” that girls are sometimes called when they are being irrational/mean/insensitive, the “bitch” that men are called when they are acting cowardly or unmanly, and then, of course, there’s the female dog definition. Can’t wait to read your draft!