another look at blogging

Before I came to this class, I had no experience whatsoever with blogging, and honestly, I thought that it was going to be a lame waste of time. Before when I thought of bloggers, I thought of those people who write mean criticisms on the comment boxes on shows that I watch online. I thought that they were wierdos who had no life and no friends, and who should spend wayyy less time on the internet. While I still hold this opinion in some circumstances, I think that blogging is appropriate and nessary in academic contexts.

This was my mental picture of "bloggers"

The thing that I really like about the Sweetland Blog is that you guys can see, and give me instant feedback on my work and ideas for projects, reading, etc. Andrew Sullivan describes how instantaneous blogging is, and he almost describes it under a negative tone. However, unlike Sullivan, I don’t get flooded with thousands of comments on my blog, so perhaps I can’t understand his pain.

In terms of my project, I am re-purposing an essay that I wrote about my dad’s upbringing into a fun children’s story.  I have never done this before, and again, I feel as though I am getting out of my comfort zone by taking something which is formal and representing it in an informal fashion. The reason why blogposts are good for me as a writer is that it gives me good practice writing in an informal genre. In these posts, I don’t have to worry about if I misspell something, or if i occasionally use a swear word, because nobody gives a damn.

I am even having to do a blog for another class which is outside of sweetland, and we have to write a paper on the informality of the blogging genre. I will be well-prepared when it comes time do to that.

Well, I’m sick, so now I’m going to bed. Night guys!

I

3 thoughts to “another look at blogging”

1. Jen,

I am SUPER excited for your children’s story! It sounds really awesome. I admire your courage to step into this genre. Children stories are the most difficult to write. I definetely think writing one will help you achieve your goal of stepping outside yourself and challenge yourself into new ways of being as a writer. I applaud you for your work. Seriously.

If you wouldn’t mind, I’d love to journey with you as you tread new territory. Would you mind sharing some of your work with our blog group?

2. Hi Jen,

I honestly had some similar sentiments at the beginning of this class, upon hearing that we were going to blog regularly. But I, much like yourself, have begun to enjoy the casual format and the feedback that we receive from classmates as we share in this blog.

I’m excited to read the re-purposing of your essay, as well. Good luck!

-Diana

3. Jen, the children’s story sounds very cool. What’s your target age? Have you ever done something like this before? Do you plan to include illustrations? If you have younger siblings or cousins, you may want to test it out on them before you turn in your final draft. I’m sure they would give you very honest feedback.

I think many people would agree with your prior feelings towards bloggers. I believe that type of blogger does still exist. We’ve been fortunate enough to also see the rise in the number of young, smart writers on the internet as well as old-timers finally giving in and joining the world wide web. Do you plan to continue to blog after you fulfill your requirements with the minor in writing blog?