Bill Simmons as an Inspiration

Writing is a tough skill to master.  After hearing Bill Simmons interview with the Huffington Post, I came to realize that excellence really only comes through practice.

I played baseball my entire childhood, and the common phrase (it’s common in any sport) was “practice makes perfect.”  Well, I was a lazy little kid, so I never really did much of that “practicing” thing, yet I still expected perfection.  Time and time again I would fail, either in the field or at the plate, but after each failure I realized that I could only really blame myself.  I hadn’t put in enough time to expect excellence.  And so it never came.

Writing is no different.  With each sentence, each phrase, I expect excellence.  I haven’t found it yet.  But the more I write, the more I realize that I can only find that excellence through constant writing.  Simmons mentions that writing every day is the best thing a writer can do for their career.  I have to agree.  I want to improve my writing, so I need to practice.  And practice again.  Write, and blog, and write, and blog.  Then maybe I’ll see my writing start to resemble something I can be proud of.

Simmons inspired me to write every day, but he also showed me how to write.  While I was listening to his interview, I just felt like I was reading one of his posts.  His column personality is the same as his actual personality.  This is a quality I shoot for in most of my writing: the ability to fully express my ideas and communicate with my audience in a conversational tone.  When someone is reading my writing, I want them to feel like I’m in the room with them, just having a simple conversation.  I want my writing to be influential, but not overbearingly so.  I want my writing to be easy to read and easy to relate to.  As I write more, I realize how hard it is to effectively communicate my ideas.  The only way to do this is to write.  And read.  And write.

2 thoughts to “Bill Simmons as an Inspiration”

1. Yes, I think that this is an excellent point when you narrated, “I hadn’t put in enough time to expect excellence. And so it never came.” I guess I never intellectualized writing, or other schoolwork in this fashion. I also really liked your aspiration to want to be more conversational in the nature of your writing. That is something that I strive to achieve as well.

Good work!

2. I definitely agree with this idea that writing is like anyhting else that requires practice. I too am guilty of not realizing this but still expecting perfection (or at least a positive outcome). Simmons touches on a very interesting idea that working at something everyday is the only way to find “that excellence” you talk about.
    I struggle with applying this idea to most aspects of life, but I have found success (and failure unfortunately) when I do. But without a constant goal to imporve success cannot be found and I really like how you pointed that out in this article. You talk about writing everyday. How do you go about doing that? I find it appealling and also not at the same time (due to the work and focus it can require). Either way good find.