Blogging, Confidence, and Happiness

As I stated in my post for last week, I am definitely starting to respect blogging as a mode of self-expression much more as a result of this class.   Last semester, I had write a 500-word blog post for history class every week, but the experience I had there doesn’t compare in the slightest bit to the experience I’ve had thus far in this course.  I’ve learned how to incorporate multimedia into my posts now, my peers are commenting on my work on a consistent basis, and I am always writing about things that resonate with me.  In my opinion, this is how blogging SHOULD be.  I can feel my writing improving as a result of the blogging I have to do in this class.  A 500 word academic argumentative post on a running blog for 125 students in my history class last semester on topics such as 19th century liberalism, Nazism, and the Scramble for Africa was interesting to a certain extent.   However, I wasn’t passionate about every topic that I blogged in that class. My blogs for this course are better than my blogs from last semester because I feel more connected to the subject matter week in and week out.  Generally, I am able to successfully articulate myself on subject matter I’m more connected with better than subject matter that I’m less passionate about.

I am glad I had to re-read Sullivan’s piece this week.  Sullivan has a wonderful section in his article where he talks about the art of blogging.  Sullivan contends in his article:

“The wise panic that can paralyze a writer—the fear that he will be exposed, undone, humiliated—is not available to a blogger.  You can’t have bloggers block.  You have to express yourself now, while your emotions roil, while your temper flares, while your humor lasts.” (Sullivan 11)

This quote resonates with me for a couple of reasons.  It helps me think about how blogging different from other types of writing.  Considering the fact that one can’t have bloggers block, but one can certainly have writers block, it leads one to believe that writing and blogging are certainly separate entities.  But how different are they?  If one procrastinates and writes an essay at the last minute for a course, is that paper an essay, or is it more of a “blog” perpetrating an essay?  This quote helped me classify what category the document I am going to re-purpose belongs in as well and I am happy I found it.  It gave me an answer to the arduous question I had concerning what genre of writing the document that I am repurposing belongs to.  I am re-purposing a blog-post that was never posted.

The quote also resonates with me because it helps me articulate how important it is to express oneself without having to worry about humiliation, being “exposed”, or “undone”.  A friend of mine sent me an interesting link that I think relates to this and is great food for thought. In this link it discusses the “top-five-regrets-of-the-dying ”.  In my opinion, at the crux of 3 of the top 5 regrets there is a common denominator, a lack of confidence.  In numbers 1 and 3 it is explicitly stated that people wish they had the courage to do something.  The more confidence one has, the more courage they have to embark on courageous endeavors.  I think that number 5 relates to confidence as well.  People who are confident, typically, are happier.  That is a generalizing claim, and I caution my readers to quote me on that.  The reason I made that remark is because I know when I am confident in what I am doing, I am the happiest that I can be.  Blogging helps build my confidence.  So in essence, it is helping me live my life to the fullest, and in a way conducive to happiness when it’s time for me to move on.

2 thoughts to “Blogging, Confidence, and Happiness”

1. This is going to be rather cheesy, but I think that it is most important to have confidence with girls. Actually it probably is more important to be assertive and confident at a job interview or when pursuing a job, but I think confidence is requisite to both, not only for the immediate, respective situations themselves, but also for the long term set of events having a little confidence may trigger.

Sometimes if I am debating as to whether or not to engage in social dialogue with a woman I become nervous. However, I immediately begin to think about what could go unrealized if I don’t say hello. A friend? A girlfriend? Heck, a soul mate? People meet their significant others all the time in college; it’s not that far of a stretch of the imagination.

The same goes for professional settings. What could happen if I man up and go talk to that recruiter? An interview? An internship? Who know’s, getting in touch with people who will hook me up with my dream job down the road?

The uncertainty of life’s events as well as the confidence required to initiate them could be thought about for days and days. Pushing your shoulders back and holding your chin up in front of significant situations is crucial; the opportunity cost of not doing so could, for all we know, be cataclysmic.

It is for this reason I approach each day striving for confidence. I even try to put myself in uncomfortable situations in order to overcome my inhibitions and see what’s out there. The same goes for blogging. Like you, I wasn’t too sure how I would fair at this form of expression. A few weeks in however, I’m respecting it more and more and clipping along at a confident pace. Sky’s the limit.

2. Ron, that was a very interesting article. I had a blog I started in the summer where I posted all the creative writing I did, and I haven’t updated it in months. I keep wanting to, but I have “bloggers block” (which I’m supposably not able to have). When I think about making a new post for the blog, all I can think is that I have nothing to write about. Which, when I think about it critically, there are lots of things to write about. Thank you for the motivating and encouraging post. I think I will try to write something for it this week and have no regrets.

And Chris, its true. All it really takes to win a girl over is confidence.