HOLY CRAP!

These are sooooo nice. What the heck? These are so cute, and put together, and professional! I want one! Although sometimes I am technologically inept, I seriously think that this would be a good thing to have or to give to future employers. Sweet!

One thing that I really really liked was a piece by Joseph Elliot, and I quote, “Within this e-portfolio, as in my life, you will see contradictions that vary in measure.” Amen brother, thanks for this vulnerability. I can foresee this being a problem in my own future e-portfolio, because there were (unfortunately) many times that I tailored essays to the views of professors. For example: my English 225 professor was SUPER liberal, and although I consider myself really really politically conservative, I wrote essays about legalizing abortion, gay marriage etc. and took positions that I didn’t agree with just to get a good grade. I am not proud of this, but it did work.

Relating the class to the e-portfolios, creating this is getting wayyy out of my comfort zone, and is expressing vulnerability, which is talked about in the pieces that we read and talk about almost every day. I’m excited to experience this new challenge and come out of it with something that I can show my friends, family, and grad schools 🙂 .

2 thoughts to “HOLY CRAP!”

1. You brought up a great point about the potential for contradictions within our portfolios. Do you see this as a bad thing? Are you going to try to avoid including contradictions? It may be interesting to include essays that argue for opposite positions. This could be an interesting section of your portfolio–a showcase of your development of thought and how your writing has at times reflected a need to impress the reader.

I’m intrigued by your comment regarding the work you submitted for your English 225 professor. I’ve had many professors with clear political leanings and beliefs. These instructors, though, did not want my classmates and I to write pieces that simply reinforced their opinions. In fact, they encouraged us not to do this. I think this is wise because papers that echo the viewpoints of the professor don’t add much to the intellectual conversation. I’ve found these papers are usually the most difficult to write too. For example, if a professor knows a lot about Internet safety laws and strongly supports them, a paper must be at least as smart as the instructor to impress him or her. I’ve appreciated that my professors enjoy reading essays that contradict their personal beliefs.

2. I like your comment on how vulnerable these e-portfolios are. Honestly, I feel like blogging as a whole has to be vulnerable to be effective. A blogger who refuses to write about their problems or struggles isn’t really interacting with their audience. They may as well be writing for a print source rather than blogging.

I’m interested to see how we will all embrace (or reject!) this idea of vulnerability and how it pertains to our writing.