Inkspirations

The more I read about writing and write about the process of writing, the more I think my major was wrongly placed in Economics. It’s easy to say that I’ll have promising career in a viable field of study, but it’s not easy to say that  my strength is in Econ and that I enjoy it to a large degree. I wasn’t sold on English as my major, and I’m still not now (perhaps it’s too late to change, even?), but regardless, I’ve rediscovered my love for writing purely for writing’s sake recently.

I think I want to try “morning writing”, as Melody called it. I think that maybe if I start writing more and more, I’ll find inspiration to continue writing even into my alternate career path as an Economist.

As far as writing my second draft poem goes, I’m still struggling to piece together what parts I want to include in my creative composition. I think I’m trying to determine what information is important to disclose, and what isn’t. I find it often more difficult to do that in a creative piece, but I think I’m getting better at it.

3 thoughts to “Inkspirations”

1. Um…agreed. Econ is not always fun, and its totally not my passion in life either, but i’m majoring in it too, AMEN SISTER; but I would agree that it is the best choice for me. When I was in high school, I was always told that I should be an English major, but English is just not my thing…writing is.

My roommate is an English major, and her homework includes tasks like looking up word origins (ewww) and watching crappy foreign films. In that scope, econ is more my game, I would NOT be happy doing that for homework.

I’m glad that you have these same sentiments about your major, thank you for sharing this vulnerability in a blogpost, I feel the exact same way. And yes, I think that the morning writing that Melody shared seems like an awesome idea!

2. Diana,

I second Jen’s comments. Thank you for sharing your concerns so publicly.

Depending on your year as an undergrad, it might not be too late. Good news is that you have perspective, and you’re self aware. Many people live their whole lives without ever finding out their passion or purpose in life, but it seems like you’ve found yours. That’s the half the battle, and the first step.

Perhaps you can take extra classes in the spring/summer terms to take extra classes in English, and drop your Econ major. That way, you might be able to have the major of your choice, and STILL graduate on time. What do you think?

-Brittany

1. Brittany,

I have considered that, however, due to my changing majors halfway through college, I’m still trying to make up the Econ classes as I finish Junior and Senior year. I may end up staying an extra semester though, and no matter if I major or minor in English, I think I’ll continue to take classes that help me develop writing skills 🙂

-Diana