Midterm Blues

In the midst of midterms, I have come to realize even more how inescapable writing really is.  Whether it’s simply rewriting your old notes when studying, writing a midterm paper, responding to short answer test questions, or taking a bluebook exam, writing occupies a huge part of the way we are evaluated in our classes.

Another writing-related caveat that I have encountered as I wrap up the internship application process is the importance of a coherent, concise, and well-written resume and cover letter.  Having one or both of these documents is necessary when applying to internships and for the most part, your first (and possibly last) impression on recruiters is given through your writing in said documents.

Even if you get an interview or are seeking more information about a company, you still have to communicate via email and even those interactions are judged.  As I have stated before, “WRITING IS EVERYWHERE!”

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hc9k3-fwwYM

I found the video to be mildly relevant to writing as well but I digress.  Good luck with midterms, y’all.

2 thoughts to “Midterm Blues”

1. Hi Joey,

Haha, I love Michelle Branch’s song “Everywhere”. I commend you for plowing through the internship application process. I have tried (and possibly failed) at writing a concise and eye-catching cover letter. I often have to ask myself: Where do I draw the line between self-promotion and bragging?

Good luck with midterms!

-Diana

2. I remember talking to you in class about this…writing, although we may not always realize it, is EVERYWHERE. There isn’t a single profession in which the ability to write and communicate well with others isn’t essential for academic or professional success. It is for this exact reason that I actually decided to apply for the minor in writing, because although a rigorous science course load is essential for medical school, the ability to write allows me to progress so much further in the research-based community than I would if my writing skills were subpar. Thus, I guess it is better to push ourselves to develop these skills now as opposed to when we start our big-kid jobs when we realize we need them, right?