Oh right. Blogging.

So, I kind of dropped the ball on blogging regularly throughout the minor. My bad. Sorry Naomi : ( I’ll be better in the future.

But I’m here now, and I’ve got to say, this feels good. Last semester, I was immersed in writing 24/7 (three lit classes paired with three writing classes will do that to a person, apparently). The amount of writing I did over the four-ish months of the fall semester is a little staggering, and after it was all over I felt mentally exhausted. For some reason though, that feeling of exhaustion is almost preferable to what I’m experiencing right now. We’re about five weeks into this semester and so far I haven’t had to do a single substantial piece of writing. And that sucks.

Don’t get me wrong—I love slacking off and taking it easy as much as the next person, but when I’m not writing, I feel like I’m wasting away. You’d think being a peer tutor would help with this, but my tutoring sessions actually seem to exacerbate these feelings of stagnation. Seeing other people writing and working through interesting ideas they have on a diversity of topics just makes me wish I was doing the same. And I’ll get back to that point, eventually. But my first big deadline doesn’t come until February 24th, right before spring break. That’s absurd to me.

In my “Why I Write” paper from last semester, I talked a lot about how I have a love-hate relationship with writing. True, it’s an enjoyable activity that engages me and gives me a forum to present my thoughts much more eloquently than I could ever hope to with my oral communication skills, but writing is also super hard and oftentimes oppressively time consuming. I mentioned how writing always made me feel like Sisyphus, constantly pushing that awful rock up the hill, only to have it fall all the way down again at the end of the day. The story felt right to reference because I never feel like I can win with writing; there’s always something I would have liked to change or said differently, something that I should’ve edited out, something I should’ve expanded on further. As frustrating as those feelings are though, they beat the hell out of sitting at the bottom of the hill, staring at the rock, hoping it’ll reach the top on its own.

So I guess I’m glad I’ve been reminded to regularly contribute to the blog. Spring break is still a long way off, and I don’t want to turn into a pre-Dorothy Tinman of writing in the time between then and now. The can of oil is sitting right in front of me, so why not use it?

Sidenote: SO glad to see the Winter 2012 cohort is using animated gifs in their posts. It makes the blog feel so much more lively (not that it felt dead before, by any means).