The Most Affective Writing Process

What is the most affective writing process?  Throughout my life, I’ve always thought the methodology one uses to write is unique to them as a writer and it differs from person to person.  However, I’ve read an abundance of information on this topic over the last few weeks that discount my prior assessment of the writing process. I talked about what I thought was the correct writing process briefly in a response last week.   Since I was so conflicted about this topic, I felt that writing a full blog post on this topic was absolutely necessary in order to reflect on this issue in a more in-depth manner.

In my opinion, the “proper” writing process entails organizing my thoughts, writing a first draft, revising and editing the first draft, taking time away from the paper, and coming back to the paper to revise and edit it again to refine my thoughts.  However, a problem that I have with this process is identifying when I am satisfied enough with my first draft to move on from.  I know that everyone typically has shitty first drafts, but how do I know that the second draft isn’t shitty?  If the first draft is really that shitty, is it possible to doctor up the first draft enough to make the second draft un-shitty?  Will it be necessary to write three or four or five drafts to produce a reputable written document? Trying to come to terms about this leaves me feeling like the man shown below at my computer. 

I did a little research and on this website I found a lot of good information on the writing process.  It has interesting information about writing for a multitude of different venues and genres.  When I was reading through this I thought about what we read for class Monday about The Craft of Research.  I felt that this site, and The Craft of Research reading both contain information essential for any writer to assess reach their greatest potential.

Recently, one of the things that sparked a lot of questions in my mind about the writing process was the idea that one should take a day or two off from your writing and come back to it in order to produce a reputable document.  Everything in me and everything that I’ve found as a result of my research has said that one should take a day or so off from a written and come back to it in order to assess it objectively.  However, how can one take a day off from writing when there are already so many other things involved in the writing process that are time consuming?  Should I just do all my research and complete my first draft the day possible and not worry so much about the other steps in the writing process?  Will doing that devalue the other necessary steps in the writing process? How can I gauge what the proper amount of time spent on the different parts of the writing process should be? Over the past few weeks I have been pressed for time for a lot of my assignments, and I have found it arduous to complete everything in a timely manner.  In writing there is rarely ever a “right” or “wrong” answer because it is so subjective so I think there is always room for improvement in my writing.  But how can I distinguish between  having ruminating thoughts about my writing and when I actually need to change some things around? Can writing ever be complete?