The Personal Statement

This week was pretty scary for me. I met with my LSA advisor to discuss graduation… and it turns out I might be graduating in December….!!! Did time really fly by that quickly?! Is anyone else as scared as I am to actually leave this dreamy little bubble and enter the real world? I shudder at the thought.

Anyway, by the end of our meeting was I hit head on by about three hundred different things I have to make sure I get done over the next two months to make sure that I actually graduate. It turns out that my LSA advisor is also a pre-law advisor, and since I will be applying to law schools in the fall, we discussed what I should be thinking about before I start to apply. And something came up that I have been dreading for quite a long time: the personal statement. Yikes.

It feels like I’m applying to colleges all over again. What makes me unique? Do I have any gripping sob stories, any adventurous or unusual experiences that will set me apart from the thousands of other kids applying for the same slot? What angle should I take when trying to essentially sell myself through writing, once again? No matter how experienced a writer you may be, no matter how many times you’ve had to prove your worth in words, the personal statement never gets easy, particularly in the context of graduate school admissions. Is anyone else out there struggling with how they’re going to approach writing another one of these in the very near future?

I have to apologize for the shortness of my post this week, it is 1 A.M. and I’ve just arrived from the airport after a 3 consecutive all-nighters and a 3-hour delay trying to get home for spring break. Off I go to get some much needed zzzzz’s. Hope you all have a great week off!

Until next time!

– Allie