The Transformation of a Novice Blogger

After having re-read Andrew Sullivan’s “Why I Blog” and reflecting upon my own blog habits over the past few weeks, I have come to realize that both my blog posts and my thoughts about blogging have drastically changed.  For starters, through the incorporation of multimedia (videos, pictures, memes, etc.), my blogs have become more personal and more exciting to both write and read.  As far as my feelings towards blogging, I now enjoy it more because of the creativity and openness it allows.

What is nice about blogs, as Sullivan states, is that they allow for you to open yourself and your thoughts to the world while, at the same time, others may appreciate your work.  The versatility of blogs and blogging allow bloggers an empty canvas for which to paint their own portrayal of the world and their thoughts of it.

In terms of how blogging differs from other types of writing that I’ve done, the nature of blogs is certainly shorter and to the point.  In the various academic papers I’ve had to write here at the university, I have never been afforded the opportunity to incorporate multimedia or an informal voice into my writing—blogs, however, allow me to do this.  For my paper 2 assignment, I am taking a satiric essay and converting it into a satiric research paper.  I am on the fence as to whether I want to continue with this piece or not because I am concerned that it will get rather lengthy and that perhaps a shorter work will be easier/more enjoyable to re-purpose.  Time will tell as writing, amongst other things, is a process.

One thought to “The Transformation of a Novice Blogger”

1. I completely agree with you and how much fun it is to be able to incorporate multimedia into our blogs. I mean, I internet all the time and use memes daily so much so, that they are actually becoming a part of my online vocabulary and I am thankful for this blog to actually give me a “semi-formal” setting for my memes and internet jokes.
    So just like you and Sullivan touched on, I am excited to really expand and open myself up to this whole blogging thing.