Thoughts on Blogging

Stumbling through the desert of blogging.

I’ve always seen blogging as the ugly little sister of writing.  During my time in middle and high school, we were always told to never trust anything online, especially blogs.  A site where anyone could post anything they want?  There was no way that could foster any type of learning or growth.  Encyclopedia Britannica, New York Times, and Time Magazine were the only sources we could truly trust.  Blogs were the evil part of the internet.  The part parents protected their children from.  The reason why children had to ask their parents before “surfing” the web (remember when that was a thing?).  Blogs were the desert of the internet: dry, and without any useful information.  Anyone who ventured onto a blog would surely perish.

I’m new to blogging, but I’ve found that those reasons that blogging was (and is) frowned upon are actually the same things that make blogging worthwhile in the first place.  Anyone can write whatever they want.  Blogging is a free form of writing, absent of the word counts, specified content, and editors that are omnipresent in printed work.  It is a way for writers to truly express themselves, speaking to an audience that is willing to listen and engage, offering their own ideas in contrast to the author’s.  Blogging is where writers grow.  They learn about their flaws.  They learn how their ideas may need tweaking.  They learn how to connect with an audience that is ever-present.  Blogging frees writing from the shackles placed on it by professionalism.

I’m learning to like blogging.  I can experiment with different styles of writing without a constricting prompt or the pressure to receive a good grade.  Instead, I write freely, expressing my ideas with the understanding that they may be challenged, attacked, and spit back at me.  But that’s what learning is all about.  Sitting in the bubble of printed writing is no way to grow as a writer, or even as a person.  Blogging puts me on display for the world to see.  I wouldn’t want it any other way.