Writing: A Love/Hate for All

After reflecting upon the conversations that my group and I had with the two writers at last night’s “How I Write” event, I came to realize that writing is something that everyone struggles with—no matter how talented you are.

I also came to realize that even the best of writers have sort of wacky ways of revising their papers and that more often than not, it can take more than 5+ drafts for a paper to be considered “done.”  I had never really heard of somebody taping their printed out paper to the wall, writing on it, then attacking the collage of writing with scissors to manually copy and paste excerpts or paragraphs to different places; and I thought my revision methods were obsessive and over the top…

More than anything, the event taught me that writing is a process and that even for the best and most passionate writers, the process, even for them, is a love/hate.  It was good for me to realize that others face the same struggles with their writing that I do.

3 thoughts to “Writing: A Love/Hate for All”

1. Although I wasn’t able to go to the How I Write session, I have read enough blog posts about it to know about the manual copy and pasting that one of the writers talked about. It is good to know that the writing process itself can be unique and creative among individuals. I wonder how much these different processes affect how people write. I tend to do most of my editing on the first round of writing, but after this class, I think I am going to become a more diligent revisor of my own work.
    I think this is where the love/hate relationship plays in the most for me. A lot of times I am satisfied with what I have written, and I don’t want to change it with the worry that it will not be improved. I hate looking over my own work after I have finished it, but I think with new processes for revision I will find this more tollerable.

2. Without a doubt, writing is a huge process for everyone. I kind of had the same realization as you during the “How I Write” event about drafts and revisions. Before this course, i have to admit that I typically would write one draft of an essay, make some edits, and turn it in. However, I have found that multiple revisions often forces my essay to develop in a much more meaningful way. Writing classes that I have taken thus far, such as English 125, do not typically teach us HOW to write, but rather just expect us to be able to, whereas in this course, we have really developed our writing techniques and strategies. That being said, I think my love/hate relationship with writing stems from the fact that creating multiple drafts is frustrating, but it ultimately pays off in the end.

3. It really is a nice feeling knowing that you are not alone in the writing process doesn’t it? The struggle that Melody talked about was pretty universal as I think we are all coming to realize.

I really liked that you used the word process in your post because that is something that I took away from talking with the writers. It’s not just a “hit it and quit it” if you will… but much more of a several step and in depth process.