Awaiting the Hunger Games

And the countdown is finally coming to a close, but if you’re anything like me, you’ve been awaiting March 23 for quite some time now. Since the first of four Hunger games movies is set to release this Friday, it got me thinking: Are movies or books better? Now, I know that is an almost impossible question to answer but I thought it could offer an interesting debate.

More-so than the actual form of media, I think that the experience of reading a book or watching a movie really determines if you like the book or the movie better so here’s my opinion…

So, what is reading? For me, reading a book is an irreplaceable feeling. You can allow yourself to be completely immersed within the pages, absorbing each and every detail the author choses to provide. These descriptions allow you to become the artist and paint a one-of-a-kind picture in your head of what you think is going on, regardless of how others may interpret it. Typically, time spent reading is time spent alone with your thoughts, where you are able to reflect on so much more than just the novel in your hand. Even more so, reading (for me, at least) leads to relaxation.

Keeping those thing in mind, what is a movie? To me, watching a movie is an experience that fully engulfs the reader into a predetermined and pre-described world. The element of reader interpretation is lost. However, watching a movie allows you to understand the novel on a number of different levels that you may have not gotten from the book (at least in my opinion). Instead of being an activity that you do on your own, going to the movies is typically something that you do with other people…which has a huge impact on whether or not you enjoy the film. For example, say all of your friends don’t like a movie and voice their opinion to you, you are more likely to see things that are wrong with the movie than you did before they said anything.

I guess what I’m trying to say is that I think reading a book is a more personal, honest experience. You don’t have to explain to your friends why you liked it or why you didn’t, it’s just you, your imagination, and the pages in front of you. Don’t get me wrong, I enjoy a good movie (and am beyond excited to see the Hunger Games), but I personally believe the books are usually better. What do you guys think?