Getting Re- Energized

This spring break, I did a lot of reflection. I spent a lot of time thinking about this class actually. I was wondering, being curious about why I applied to this minor, why I want to be a writer, and why being such is important to me. The very activity I was doing made it clear to me why I wanted to be a writer in the first place, precisely because I am curious.

I have a lot of questions, especially when it comes to identity. I don’t have all the answers to such questions that pertains to American identity. For instance, why is there a distinction made between cultural and national citizenship? Or, even our sensitivity to the larger world–or lack thereof–though its extended to us from other parts of the globe. There seems to be an interest in American national politics in places like Mumbai or Nairobi, yet the only time we–as a nation–seem to care about global politics is when it affects our gas prices. That’s the only time it seems Americans take a personal interest in global politics. Why is that so?

Questions like these, along with others, such as the reason for “Third World Nations” poverty when many of them are rich in natural resources keep me inspired to not really be relevant as a writer, but have these questions illuminated in my writing. I want my audience, though they may not know the answers, to at least think about these issues. Perhaps when our nation becomes more curious about the larger world, we would be more conscious about our race relations with each other at home.

Brittany Smith

University of Michigan (first year) senior, Detroit native.

One thought to “Getting Re- Energized”

1. I love this post, Brittany! I feel like you’ve extended your thinking from your WIW essay, and this articulation of your sense of purpose as a writer is really clear. Have you read any of Anna Deavere Smith’s work? I ask because she’s a documentary theater writer and scholar and actress, and she sees her life’s work as asking questions, rather than providing answers. You might check out some interviews with her, some of her essays, etc.