How I Write

First and formost, I was slightly confused about the new blog policy (I thought I was in group 3, my bad) so this post is a week late, but I will continue posting at the correct time for group 1 starting next week! Thanks for understanding!

I have to be honest, I wasn’t exactly excited to attend last night’s “How I Write” event at first. However, I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. Professor Bacon was, by far, one of the most enthusiastic and involved speakers I have seen recently. His passion for the subject of writing was so evident, which I think was ultimately the cause of my draw towards his speech. However, the fact that he is a successful author itself didn’t grab my interest initially. As he was explaining his life story, I found myself becoming more and more impressed. He has lead such an interesting life in which he has come over a variety of different obstacles, but somehow always finds a way to remain positive and embraces these challenges. Not only, did he overcome these obstacles, but he also never wavered in his decision to become a writer which I find very impressive because I feel like I want to change my major every other day.

In addition to his really inspiring speech, he gave us some great advice that I think can be summed up in this picture:

Keep Calm and Write Your Damn Book

Bacon really pushed the idea of just simply writing. Write when you’re bored, write for fun, write for an hour a day. I mean, that’s how he started writing, and look at him now! His story how he first began writing was hilarious. Not necessarily for content value, but more-so for his ability to relate to us as students. I am sure I am not the only person here who has come home from a party and remembered that I needed to submit a homework assignment before the next morning…I have to say, that was probably not my best work, but hey, it’s a first draft. I think that this is what Bacon was going for: EVERY first draft is shitty. Regardless of your writing conditions or mind capacity at the time of writing, your first draft is never going to be flawless. Even your final draft may never be flawless entirely, and I think that this is the take-home message of Bacon’s talk. Just write. And I think I might be taking a bit of his advice.