One Thing Is Clear

Hurry, please. … There’s someone screaming outside,” a neighbor whispers. “There’s a gunshot. Hurry up. … There’s someone screaming. I just heard a gunshot. – 911 Caller

I’ll dedicate this post to a few quotes from the Trayvon Martin case that have caught my attention over the past couple of weeks. I find it interesting how much words can say beyond what is written and how both sides of the case have selected the words that they have. I’m going to try to leave my opinion out of this post – arrest George Zimmerman (I said try) – and focus on the quotes and what I have learned from them. I will also be looking at comments from you maybe you can provide a different prospective on some of these quotes [especially some that I don’t comment on].

But first – if you haven’t already –  listen to the Zimmerman’s 911 tape.

Actually, could you have him call me and I’ll tell him where I’m at. – George Zimmerman

1)

I’ll start with my favorite – but possibly the saddest:

They’ve killed my son, and now they’re trying to kill his reputation. – Trayvon’s mother, Sybrina Fulton.

With all the media surrounding this case and the recent release of evidence against Trayvon Martin – suspensions for marijuana and graffiti, and statements from key witnesses – this quote is absolutely spot on. The choice of the word they’ve adds this idea that Trayvon’s killer is not just George Zimmerman, but it is the societal system that is also killing his reputation.

2)

Next, I’ll lump a few quotes together from various witnesses that – the media and I believe – are either on one side or the other. By these quotes, you will see that the witnesses try say one or the other was the aggressor never both. The first witnesses that I will quote are roommates that have claimed to be making coffee in the kitchen when the incident occurred.

Zimmerman was standing over the body with — basically straddling the body with his hands on Trayvon’s back,” Cutcher said. “And it didn’t seem to me that he was trying to help him in any way. I didn’t hear any struggle prior to the gunshot. And I feel like it was Trayvon Martin that was crying out, because the minute that the gunshot went off, the whining stopped – Mary Cutcher.

Selma asked him three times, ‘what’s going on over there?’  He looks back and doesn’t say anything. She asks him again, ‘everything OK? What’s going on?’ Same thing: looked at us, looked back. Finally, the third time, he said, ‘just call the police’  -Mary Cutcher speaking for her roommate Selma Mora Lamilla.

These two seem to be on the side that supports Trayvon Martin. Remember, its been a month or so since the murder/self-defense occurred. Both Selma and Mary have had time to think the situation through and responded with the above quotes when interviewed. The last part in of the first quote is what sticks out to me the most because there is a lot of controversy circling this question of, “Who was screaming?” Mary Cutcher chose to add this part in her comment. She could have simply stated: The minute the gunshot went off, the whining stopped. Instead she included that Trayvon Martin was crying out, which is definitely important to the case and how the media will portray her account.

There are other witnesses – including Trayvon’s girlfriend – that support that George Zimmerman was the aggressor and not Trayvon, and they can be found on any news site.

3)

Now, I will add some quotes that tell a different story. Some of these quotes were reports from the actual crime-scene so they were most likely not carefully thought out, while others have just surfaced in the whirlwind of publicly released evidence surrounding this case.

I was yelling for someone to help me, but no one would help me. – George Zimmerman

“I told him [presumably Trayvon Martin because he was not the one that “John” claims was wearing the red sweatshirt on the bottom] to stop and I was calling 911, and then when I got upstairs and looked down, the person that was on top [Trayvon] beating up the other guy was the one laying in the grass. I believe he was dead at that point”  – “John” the protected witness.

4)

A development in this case that has occurred over the past couple of days has been the comments by Zimmerman’s friend Joe Oliver.

This incident – on its own – is not a racial incident, this story is a racial story. – Joe Oliver

“He cried for days after this happened. The George Zimmerman I know is not here anymore, because he knows that he took someone else’s life, and he’s extremely remorseful.” – Joe Oliver.

5)

As with anything violent, violence is usually not a good response. However, the New Black Panthers have made their presence felt by placing a bounty on George Zimmerman.

According to the street people’s law, (George Zimmerman) has been charged with murder — according to street law, according to God’s law. – Mikhail Muhammad, leader of New Black Panthers.

Witnesses and others closely involved with this case should be worried about their safety.

“I now have to be concerned for my safety, not just for myself but for my friends and family as well,” he said. “Yet I wasn’t there, I didn’t pull the trigger. All I’m doing is standing up for a friend.” – Joe Oliver

I believe this quote by Joe Oliver couldn’t be more true. Violence really is not the answer here. Trayvon is dead and that is the tragedy here. More violence will never makeup for that loss. This brings me to my last quote. Regardless of what happened that night, it’s hard to argue against the fact that,

My son did not deserve to die – Trayvon’s father, Tracy Martin.

Is this the Real Zimmerman?
Or Is This?

All information can be found at http://www.cnn.com