The Book-Movie Transformation and the Intense Fans

My roommate always latches on to fads. Latches on probably isn’t the phase for it – it’s more like a death grip. She LOVES Twilight, Harry Potter, Vampire Diaries, Once Upon a Time, and just about any other popular young-adult book series, TV show, or movie. She is the girl that has a t-shirt for every opening night of each Twilight movie; she dresses up for Harry Potter. Most recently she has caught on to the Hunger Games. She supposedly bought the first ticket in the Rave IMax theatre when they first went on sale.

This is not my roommate... but I wouldn't be surprised.

Normally my roommate tries to drag me into her obsessions, and I try everything to resist (I’ve still held out on watching the latest Twilight movie!). However, I wasn’t too opposed to Hunger Games, so I agreed to go with her Friday night – yes, after she watched it the night before in the IMax theatre on opening night. We went with a group of friends, and my roommate was the only one that had actually read the books.

Two of my friends and I are all sociology majors, and after the movie we started joking about all the sociological messages that could be taken from the film. However, my roommate was quick to defend many of our observations, claiming that the book would have described things a lot better. I didn’t really see a problem with anything from the movie, but she was adamant about explaining that a lot of things from the book were not explained well enough in the movie.

I thought this brought up a really interesting point about writing mediums. As someone who had not read the Hunger Games books, I was not judging the movie based on what was left out. I looked at the movie in and of itself, thinking about the plot, characters, and scenes based on what I saw in the theatre. However, as happens with many books turned into movies, people are unable or unwilling to do this. The transformation from one form of writing to the next is what people judge.

Now that we are in the process of this same type of transformation, I wonder how our audience will judge our works. Will it be based on the original work and how satisfied the audience is with how it was changed? Or will it be seen for something new and unique in its transformation?

One thought to “The Book-Movie Transformation and the Intense Fans”

1. People who read a book judge the book by the book, and consequently, I think people who watch a movie should judge the movie based on the movie. Although it may be hard not to think about the book when you watch a movie based on a book, I think it is absolutely necessary. As a result, I like the fact that you and your friends made your assessments concerning the film without considering the books. I think if you only look at the movie as an extension of the book, it diminishes the importance of the displaying a work in a new media format. I don’t think that is fair. Therefore, I think people should look at books and movies as separate entities.

I hope our newest work will be seen as something new and unique when we transform it into a production in the new media. After all, it is a new production. Although it is based on something else, the new production should be able to stand on its own and still have a profound message.