Too much reflection, not enough facts

The article that our blog group read for this week is “Defining Reflection: Another Look at John Dewey and Reflective Thinking”. This article certainly had it’s merits, but being a person who needs grounded thinking, I found myself lost in the ambiguity of the definition of reflection.

The author, Rodgers, mentioned that “”reflection has suffered from a loss of mesaning. In becoming everything to everybody, it has lost it’s ability to be seen.” I had the impression that the article was based heavily upon personal experience/reflection and psychology as opposed to concrete evidence.

Can you tell that I’m a very grounded writer yet? However, that does not mean I disliked the style of writing. It was more that I found it difficult not to criticize some of the more reflective elements that the author use in her own writing in what seemed to be an analytical essay.

When Rodgers’ mentioned reflection as a tool of learning, I though that it was a keen point she made about experiences and mis-educative experiences. One other point she made while addressing the scientific method of writing has also made an impression on my way of thinking about reflective writing. “Experimentation” was the word she used. That is something I would’ve never though about reflective writing. I liked how she creatively placed reflective writing in context with the scientific method.

Overall, I found the article to be enlightening on Rodgers’ POV of reflection, but only a couple things really stuck with me at the end of the essay.

John Dewey

One thought to “Too much reflection, not enough facts”

1. Hi Diana,

Yes, your group had the trickiest of the readings, I think–and I also think you handled it really well! Part of what (Yancey?) was doing was bringing John Dewey’s ideas into the 20th Century for her readers, so it was a combination of summative and analytical work. That is, not everyone necessarily has the time or access to Dewey’s ideas in the way that she made for herself, so she was mining them and then applying them to contemporary thought on writing instruction. It seems to me to get a couple of take-aways is good, and what you came away with I find really compelling. Your own definition of reflection will probably continue to evolve as you continue to write, too, and I look forward to hearing what it ultimately means to you by the end of this year versus by the end of the minor (and beyond).